Interesting observation

Ben02

Location (City and/or State)
Brighton, Southcoast, UK
I think some of you will find this interesting. So I have a camera on my tort enclousures and say I'm away for the day like at school or something, my torts are really quiet and sleep a little more, whereas when I am home they are full of beans and it's really interesting. They probably expect me to give them food all day ;). But There is a controversial topic that if torts actually like seeing their owners. I wonder if anyone else has expirenced this.

Ben

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Funny you should post this ...

I just got a camera from Amazon that I've mounted inside Darwin's enclosure ... it can capture still shots or video, and has a motion sensor that notifies my phone and grabs a ten second video.

IMG_7226.jpg

A cool and unexpected benefit of the fun-tech is that it has a temperature sensor with alert capability of the temp goes above/below limits I set (I set 100 and 60 as the alert limits).

It's not a great camera, but it's wireless and was pretty cheap ... yay for Black Friday impulse purchases!

Jamie

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
With Joe I could never decide if he was more active because he wanted feeding or because he wanted to defend his territory. A bit of both I suspect. If seeing me as a source of food can be interpreted as pleased to see me then I guess he was, except when he needed to ram my ankle to tell me to leave.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have a couple enclosures of babies in the house at the moment, but I don't notice that they're any more active when I'm moving around near the enclosures. The one in the laundry room has a clear view of me in the kitchen preparing their food, and when their food tile is empty I do see them climbing the glass. . . something they don't do when the food tile is full.

daniellenc

Maryland
I'm not shocked at all. While I have no clue what Skurt is up to when we are away he always rushes out when I walk in my room. However, I'm fairly certain it's because he thinks he's getting new food and not because he actually likes me, lol

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
My three turtles (one 3.5" Gulf Coast box turtle and two hatchling mud turtles) are all indoor turtles for now (lots of predators outside). I don't have any cameras, but they act completely different when I go near their enclosures.

The box turtle prefers not to be observed when she's out and about. If I walk in on her when she's in her turtle pool in her enclosure, she soon goes for cover and usually disappears.

The mud turtle hatchlings have opposite personality traits. Bold comes out from his hide promptly to greet two-legged family members and to ask for food. He's more interactive and appreciates more attention, unless that involves getting picked up and held.

Pinstripe, the smaller mud turtle hatchling, is shy and quiet. It usually takes more encouragement, but Pinstripe will eventually emerge from his hide or from under the plastic plants to say hi.

With the mud turtles, I would say their activity is predominantly food motivated, although Bold might find some entertainment value in interacting with the humans. The box turtle, on the other hand, tends to march to the beat of her own drummer.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Haha yes I have a camera in my enclosures as you can never be to careful with dogs and cats around, it's also useful to see if an excited hatchling flips over and I can sort it out.:)
Do you guys put your camera inside the enclosure. Aren't you worried about the high humidity damaging the camera?

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
I will have to get a camera. My babies like to flip on plain substrate!
I have saved my babies twice now because of my camera. The first time was when I had just gotten little Harry and he flipped over in the water bowl. Luckily my son was on holiday and i phoned home and made him run to the enclosure to put him right. The second time I ran like a bat out of hell to save Clark and my kids said that they had never seen me run so fast. [emoji23] [emoji23]

StephandTay

Lodi, WI
Probably depends on the tort, but I feel like mine Tiny loves when we are all home! He is pretty active in general but even right after he eats he will come to the side of his enclosure and let me scratch his head and legs and shell and stretches his neck out when I talk to him. We handle him quite a bit though and will let him sit on my lap or my chest and snuggle in after soaking and what not. So he is pretty social!