Interesting question..

Status
Not open for further replies.

towelie200

5 Year Member
okay so here is an off the wall question, so I'm going to get a bearded dragon very soon, and am going to house it near my russian, I'm curious do i have to worry about a "confrontation" or do you think I'm good?

68merc

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Fresno, CA
ascott said:
If they are in their own enclosures there should be no opportunity for a confrontation..... :D

Agree with this totally.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
DITTO with above. They can't be housed together. Now if you are thinking more along the lines that they each will be able to see through their enclosures at each other. Well, you might have to wait and see how they do. It they aren't predators of each other, which I am pretty sure they aren't, they may be fine. On the other hand, your tort may withdraw every time the beardie moves, which could cause problems for the tort.

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
My russian and marginated tortys can see each other. I see my russian looking down into the marginated's cage all the time. I imagine she is wondering how the eff he still has food when she has no food... The russian gobbles up her rations when she gets them but the marginated grazes throughout the day. I have also often thought that she is trying to figure out how to get over there to eat his food.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Kerryann said:
My russian and marginated tortys can see each other. I see my russian looking down into the marginated's cage all the time. I imagine she is wondering how the eff he still has food when she has no food... The russian gobbles up her rations when she gets them but the marginated grazes throughout the day. I have also often thought that she is trying to figure out how to get over there to eat his food.

That sounds very likely! :D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If you see that it is a problem, you can always put up a visual barrier. I'm guessing it will be fine.

towelie200

5 Year Member
Im putting them in two different enclosures obviously XD im just afraid because my beardie is gonna be chilling on my shoulder and his resting log so im worried if he tries to move around he may discover sheldon XD

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
towelie200 said:
Im putting them in two different enclosures obviously XD im just afraid because my beardie is gonna be chilling on my shoulder and his resting log so im worried if he tries to move around he may discover sheldon XD

Discover him how? through glass or like go into his enclosure?

CactusVinnie

10 Year Member!
Bucharest, Romania z6
I would like to have a Central Asian agamid in my Horsfield enclosure- well, that mean very neat, slippery concrete walls :D, and a very good drainage, as I think they don't like it too wet. Phrynocephalus mystaceus, preferably- it is awesome and cold-hardy.
I bet that in the wild, the tortoise burrows are visited not only by the tortoises themselves.
With the sanitar reserve, wich is quite serios, it still would be safer to house together a Beardie and a tortoise, than 2 tortoise species. Although narrow, the possibility of the lizard coming from pet industry carrying dangerous tortoise pathogens may exist(?), but it is nothing compared to the risks involved in putting together 2 tortoises, especially coming from the same wholesale pet industry, where many species (inappropriately) share the same/very close crowded enclosures and liberally pathogen exchange occur.

I had the same idea once, but the Beardie was... well, quite crazy and inquisitive, and he would escape some day. I barely controlled him on sunny 20*C, but for sure he would trick me with ease at 30 or more :).
Anyway, I have loads of native Lacerta agilis in all tortoise enclosures, and sometimes Natrix natrix snakes. So, quarantine is out of question ;).

Status
Not open for further replies.