Interesting Scutes!

SamAnn

Location (City and/or State)
Southern Maryland
We picked up 3 new baby sulcatas yesterday! Im very excited about raising them from hatchlings and having some "normal" shells in the yard! The woman we got them from saw how amazing Bowser is doing and brought along a surprise sully for us that she cant sell. This baby has a lot of split scutes, a very flat carapace, and almost like a bump in the back before a straight decline, and no tail at all. Shes the most active of the 3 and im not too worried about treating her any differently. She almost looks like she should be a two headed tortoise, like two tortoises squished into one. 3 babies.jpg Annie.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I love that type of tortoise! But the "no tail" part might be a bit worrisome. Have you seen it poop or pee?

SamAnn

Southern Maryland
I love that type of tortoise! But the "no tail" part might be a bit worrisome. Have you seen it poop or pee?

Yes, she poops and I have to make sure to clean it off of her because she seems to poop towards the left of what should be a tail. They are 3 months old so I think if there were any serious defects they would pop up before now? There was another in the clutch that isn't able to use its back legs. The woman said she had the incubator set too high, so hopefully I dont run into any internal issues.

N

no one

I tend to choose the different ones too. Just like Yvonne. My Elongata has some split scutes. I hope your baby Sulcata's will thrive!! Especially the one with no tail. Luckily he can poop. Poor thing...