Intro (with pix of Manouria)

Wim

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Belgium
Hey everyone, I'm Wim from Belgium (EU). I've kept tortoises for several years now, I'm keeping a nice breeding group of south-Indian star (4eggs atm :)), 2 CB Platynota and mainly a nice group of 2.4 Manouria Emys Emys which led me here.

As there aren't that many Manouria keepers/breeders in EU, I accidently came on this forum. Which apperently has loads of info about them, as there are more breeders in usa. So I'm hoping to share my experience here and learning more about them.

Thanks already and Cheers!
Wim

Sorry for my english.

Last edited:

Wim

5 Year Member
Belgium
Some pictures of the animals for the curious people :)

20141018_144834.jpg 20141018_145858.jpg 20141018_151433.jpg 20111110 Manouria EE (2).jpg 20130222 geochelone elegans (3).JPG 20130309 Geochelone platynota aankoop (7).JPG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Wim, and welcome to the Forum!

Are you sure those aren't phayrei? Nice group of babies. Did you have the eggs in an incubator, or leave them in the nest? If incubated, what temperature did you have it set on?

Wim

5 Year Member
Belgium
Pretty sure yeah, all have clearly Y-shaped plastron not V, if you know what I mean.

Incubated, other torts tend to run over the hill here when she left it. In incubator I have more visual control over it. Normally temperature not too high, my hatching rate goes down on higher temperature. I did 28-29-30°, and +90% RV last time, seems fine. In Belgium its not always hot enough to leave eggs out I think.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Welcome! Nice looking torts! :)

May
THBs: Darwin & Merlin
Aussies: Dax, Vegas, & Cricket
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Pretty sure yeah, all have clearly Y-shaped plastron not V, if you know what I mean.

Incubated, other torts tend to run over the hill here when she left it. In incubator I have more visual control over it. Normally temperature not too high, my hatching rate goes down on higher temperature. I did 28-29-30°, and +90% RV last time, seems fine. In Belgium its not always hot enough to leave eggs out I think.

That' was my problem too. I always set the temp on the high side because I wanted females, but I either got no hatch or only one or two. This last time I set it quite a bit lower and we got 8 live babies.

zenoandthetortoise

5 Year Member
Welcome! And don't worry about your English, it's better than my Belgiumish :)
Great looking Manouria!

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Heck it's better then my Engish !
Hello Wim welcome to the TFO from AZ ,USA . Great looking torts . You did a good job . Tell us more !

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum