Outside enclosures in Fl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

emysbreeder

5 Year Member
I keep and breed both ssp. Mt.Tortoises but I'm sure many kinds of forest dwelling tortoises could be kept like this way. The enclosures are from 3,000 to 9,000sf. per pair. yep, not a type-o, they are huge. Behaviour studies are far more informative as it is about as close as you can get to natural environment if you pic a species that lives in a similar but maybe not exact type of environment. Mt. tortoises (manouria emys emys and M.e.phayrei) occur in tropical rain forest of Asia. N. Florida offers me a zone of weather much like some of range of Manouria. More like the north and middle range than their southern range which is on or below the equator. We know NOTHING about the northern range of Manouria nor are there any captives in the USA from India and other ares in the most northern range. My enclosures are in typical Fl.Pine/swamp ridge with lots of Silver leaf/water oak, Cabbage/Saw Palmetto type land with a triple canopy cover. The pictures should show Const. material and small ponds with 40 mill rubber,and roofing metal. I'll add more pics later not sure how many will fit here. Vic Morgan Defying Destiny Manouria reserve

Attachments

• 4gb sim card 1045.jpg
    4gb sim card 1045.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 315
  • 4gb sim card 116.jpg
    4gb sim card 116.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 275
  • 4gb sim card 473.jpg
    4gb sim card 473.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 250
  • 4gb sim card 979.jpg
    4gb sim card 979.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 238
  • 4gb sim card 506.jpg
    4gb sim card 506.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 279

emysbreeder

5 Year Member
Thanks to all! Hope to see some of you at the Daytona Expo this Aug. vic

Melisacoleman

5 Year Member
Amazing! But I live in NY with a cemented back yard. I would need to make something like that over by my garden and then an additional enclosure in the basement.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I especially love the last picture. I have a large female very similar-looking to that tortoise. Does yours have a real thick upper beak? (Mine does)

You don't look anything like how I've been picturing you.

Thank you so much for posting these pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.