Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Here's an interesting phenomonom (spelling??) that I noticed yesterday: There are quite a few forest fires in California these days, and I live in a valley. The smoke from the fires is accumulating in the valley and our air is quite hazy. Yesterday I found one Manouria emys emys female had dug under her water tub and was just laying there under the tub, and two of the female Manouria emys phayrei were both inside their water tubs completely covered with water. This was at a time of day when they are always inside their hides. This must be one way that these types of tortoise escape being burned up during a forest fire.

Yvonne

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
thats an interesting observation, yvonne. i guess even in a burrow things would get too hot with a fire going on up above. water is the best (and only?) real solution!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Interesting. Wonder if it's soaking to hide from the fire or soaking to get as much water into their system for days they believe will come after the fire (ie little food or water holes left?). Will be interesting to note at what point they go back to their normal behavior.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
That is really interesting, I agree that would be interesting if you keep track and see when they come out of the water / or any other different behavior.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
My sulcatas are laying low in this smoke. I was wondering if it was making them not feel well, or some sort of instinct..
Its hazy and you can smell the smoke inthe air. Been this way about 4 days now. we need a good wind.. rain would be nice too! no more Lightning! although that is predicted for the next few days.. :-(

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
They stayed in the water (or under the water, as in one's case) all that day, all night and were out and about this morning.

Yvonne

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Hello Yvonne

Very interesting. Do you think it is their instinct that told them to stay in the water or they just knew it would be colder?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Isa said:
Hello Yvonne

Very interesting. Do you think it is their instinct that told them to stay in the water or they just knew it would be colder?

These tortoises are pretty big, so the waterers that I use are the large sized cement mixing tubs. When the tortoise is in the tub, the water almost covers their carapace. When the weather gets too hot, they spend the night submerged in the water, but during the day I have the mister turned on and they stay in their hides. I'm sure their instinct kicked in when they sensed the smoke in the air, because these last few days haven't been all that hot.

Yvonne

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
emysemys said:
Isa said:
Hello Yvonne

These tortoises are pretty big, so the waterers that I use are the large sized cement mixing tubs. When the tortoise is in the tub, the water almost covers their carapace. When the weather gets too hot, they spend the night submerged in the water, but during the day I have the mister turned on and they stay in their hides. I'm sure their instinct kicked in when they sensed the smoke in the air, because these last few days haven't been all that hot.

Yvonne

Thanks for the answer Yvonne :)

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
It was a lot more smokey today.. the winds are supposed to change in a day or so to help clear it out,, but fires are everywhere..
Mine were more out and about today, hungary..

Status
Not open for further replies.