Intro

Tina Hansen

Hi! I am new here. I have a little hatchling tortoise. Not sure what kind. His shell is about 2 inches. I've been told by people he is a desert, sulcata, gopher... He is a pleasure to have we are totally in love. I have been a tortoise lover for a long time and am very excited about our new addition.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
If you post a photo, people can tell you what species you have. Gopher tortoises and Sulcata will be vastly different sizes when mature, so it's important to know what you're getting in to. Plus, everyone loves hatchling tortoise photos!

Tina Hansen

20151010_153955.jpg 20151010_150430.jpg 20151010_150430.jpg 20151010_150445.jpg 20151010_150449.jpg

Attachments

• 20151010_153700.jpg
    20151010_153700.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 8
  • 20151010_153718.jpg
    20151010_153718.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 7

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Desert tortoise. And your habitat is much too dry for that baby. Baby tortoises usually hatch during the monsoon season, and if you'll notice the weather for SoCal, even though we're in a drought, they've had some rain down there. It's the moisture in the earth, in their hiding places that helps their shells to grow smoothly, and its the moisture that makes all the weeds grow, weeds that are tender enough for little baby beaks to bite. So, add some moistened orchid bark or coco coir to that habitat and it's all good!!

Welcome to the Forum!! There's a good care sheet written by a pretty knowledgeable guy down in Bakersfield:

http://www.donsdeserttortoises.com/2.html

Because hatchling mortality is quite common, you don't need to register him until he's about 3 years old.

Tina Hansen

Desert tortoise. And your habitat is much too dry for that baby. Baby tortoises usually hatch during the monsoon season, and if you'll notice the weather for SoCal, even though we're in a drought, they've had some rain down there. It's the moisture in the earth, in their hiding places that helps their shells to grow smoothly, and its the moisture that makes all the weeds grow, weeds that are tender enough for little baby beaks to bite. So, add some moistened orchid bark or coco coir to that habitat and it's all good!!

Welcome to the Forum!! There's a good care sheet written by a pretty knowledgeable guy down in Bakersfield:

http://www.donsdeserttortoises.com/2.html

Because hatchling mortality is quite common, you don't need to register him until he's about 3 years old.
How old do you think he is?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
He's brand new, certainly no older than a month or so.

Tina Hansen

How old do you think he is?
He's brand new, certainly no older than a month or so.
We found him 2 weeks ago, his shell was still soft, and my dogs would have stepped on him and killed him. I heard they had to be registered and I didn't want to do anything illegal. I've been freaking out. But after 2 weeks we are completely attached. He is so sweet. I've researched them before always wanted one!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you found him in front and not in back of your house, probably a bird dropped him. Desert tortoise babies usually come in clutches of 4 or 5, so there may be more babies out there for you to find.

Tina Hansen

If you found him in front and not in back of your house, probably a bird dropped him. Desert tortoise babies usually come in clutches of 4 or 5, so there may be more babies out there for you to find.
We've kept our eyes open checking the area where he was found but we haven't seen anything. I'm glad he survived, hes a tough fella

Yelloweyed

5 Year Member
SoCal California
I have 3 CA desert torts and just checked with the CTTC. They won't issue a permit until they are 2-3 years old. If you can't set up the proper enclosure, they can find a foster/conservator.

Tina Hansen

I have 3 CA desert torts and just checked with the CTTC. They won't issue a permit until they are 2-3 years old. If you can't set up the proper enclosure, they can find a foster/conservator.
Thank you! He is being well taken care of, I've done lots of research and he has a pretty good habitat. Gonna change a few things per the new info I've learned!

Tina Hansen

Thank you all. I have learned a lot today. Frankie is being well taken care of. He has a pretty good habitat however I will change some things per the new info I've got. I am so glad to have found this forum!