Introducing Bagheera

Status
Not open for further replies.

missbanana

5 Year Member
Hello!
Can anyone out there help identify my tortoise?

I live in Egypt and I bought him here but assumed he was some sort of Mediterranean tortoise. Can anyone help me? He is about 2-3 years old. Or is it a she? ImageUploadedByTortForum1379002598.501756.jpg

ImageUploadedByTortForum1379002643.538226.jpg

Can you also advise on what to feed him? He only eats cucumber and lettuce. Refuses tomato and carrot. Also how often should I bath him?

Many thanks!

Hannah

He's woken up now! Here is a better picture ImageUploadedByTortForum1379003187.298388.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Switzerland
Hi and welcome! You have a very cute egyptian tortoise (testudo kleinmanni). See those two triangles on the plastron (the belly)? That's a dead giveaway for an egyptian tortoise. I don't really know a lot about them, but I believe that the basic nutrition should be same as the mediterranean ones. Try http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/ for lists of edible weeds and stuff.

Don't give any more tomato, I feed carrot as an occasional treat. Dark, leafy greens is what you should aim for, safe weeds would be the best, but I do not know if you have any unsprayed ones available.

What a gorgeous animal, I'm really jealous! :)

Take good care of it, as they are really endangered.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Welcome to the Forum and lovely tort....may I ask? In the last pic of his adorable face there appears to be a lump/rise on the side of what would be his right side near his mouth??? Is this just the way the pic took or is there something there?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Hannah, and welcome to the Forum!

missbanana

5 Year Member
Thanks everybody!

I had another look at his face and its the same on both sides. So it could be just the way he is or the angle of the photo? I'm hoping so as unsure of the expertise of vets out here. What could it be?

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Hi Hanna,

WOW, so wonderful. I would guess your tortoise is substantially older than 2-3 years. It is adult in size, and could be much older, exact age is difficult or impossible to determine.

If you live within an area that is influenced strongly by the Mediterranean, then you could probably make a predator proof place outside for your tortoise.

You will come across it sooner or later, there is a school there that had for many years kept a large colony of their roof top. Here is a link http://haegong.tripod.com/tortoise/1tortoise.htm

It may not be legal to keep them as pets there, whether it is enforced is another matter, but I won't tell anyone.

So great to see that tortoise with good images.

Will

Status
Not open for further replies.