introducing dylan

dylanchalmers

Dylan is the newest member of our family , he has been with us 3 weeks and seems to be doing just great . He weighs 52g and is 62mm in length x

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

dylanchalmers

Thanks all for the welcomes !!! I had done alot of research before bringing dylan home and thought i had nailed it with the substrate , not straw or hay , not sand , not paper and not the coconut coir as he was to young. So i settled on a substrate from a pet store but yesterday i read a thread saying the pets at home one was not suitable because of the white bits . Help please , just want to get it right xxx

dylanchalmers

New to forums , so finding threads a littlw confusing but yes he is a russian ! . We are completly mesmorised by him x

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hi and welcome to you and Dylan.
Yes torts sometimes like to eat the white bits which can cause problems in the digestive system.
I use coco coir - if it is kept damp (not wet) and firmed down it is Ok and helps with the humidity, I also scatter orchid bark on top, but my tort is a leopard and both are substrates recommended for that species. Have you had a look at the Russian caresheet under Species Specific to see what is recommended there?
The Beginners Mistakes thread (link below) is a good for helping avoid problems experienced by others, and the Enclosures thread has great ideas. If you can post a picture of your table/viv then members with Russians can offer advice to make sure Dylan has a safe and happy home.

dylanchalmers

1456080073739.jpg Here is dylans enclosure so far ! We are planning a top deck for him ( of course not to steep and safe so he cant fall/climb over the edge) , he will also have an outdoor enclosure when the weather improves. Any ideas /recommendations gratefully received xxx