Introduction and advice please

Salome

Location (City and/or State)
South Afric
based on your location, there are two species of hingeback native to the northern parts of South Africa. Kinixys spekii and Kinixys lobatsiana. This one is quite old and with the fire damage no markings are visible and not sure about shell wear/damage that could have smoothed marginals. From what I see, it looks like K. spekii
Hi Yvonne G. My dad didn't say how much the fire damaged his shell but I remember he said there was also a crack in the shell as if a car ran over it. I looked at the pics of the K spekii and I do agree he looks alot like that species. He also looks like the Karoo padlopertjie. As I said I don't know how he ended up in a residential area in a field that was going to be used to build more houses. Whether he lived there all his live or if he was someones pet we will never know. All I know is that they rescued him and he lived a happy live in my parents garden. Here by me he also walks in the garden but at night I bring him inside the house cause I don't want anyone to steal and eat him. I have thought long and hard about why he has these legions on his feet and I read a few articles on Internet. I came to one conclusion. Its a fungal infection due to humidity and dampness. We have had a terrible heatwave (still ongoing) and I think that this contributed to him not drying in the sun enough after drinking water in the evening and going to sleep wet. If anyone has any other ideas pls let me know. I will also have his beak looked at and trimmed and also get him calcium powder. I will make sure he is dry before going to sleep. I will disinfect the areas on the feet where I can see the blackish colouring and get some anti fungal cream. If it doesn't clear Up I will get Vets assistance.

Salome

South Afric
Yes, the beak is too long. If you're handy with a Dremmel tool you can grind it down yourself a little bit. Here's a picture of what it should look like:

View attachment 229489
Thanks so much, I will trim his beak. I will post more pic in daylight of the blackish areas on his front feet for any input. But I think I solved the mystery.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Hi Yvonne G. My dad didn't say how much the fire damaged his shell but I remember he said there was also a crack in the shell as if a car ran over it. I looked at the pics of the K spekii and I do agree he looks alot like that species. He also looks like the Karoo padlopertjie. As I said I don't know how he ended up in a residential area in a field that was going to be used to build more houses. Whether he lived there all his live or if he was someones pet we will never know. All I know is that they rescued him and he lived a happy live in my parents garden. Here by me he also walks in the garden but at night I bring him inside the house cause I don't want anyone to steal and eat him. I have thought long and hard about why he has these legions on his feet and I read a few articles on Internet. I came to one conclusion. Its a fungal infection due to humidity and dampness. We have had a terrible heatwave (still ongoing) and I think that this contributed to him not drying in the sun enough after drinking water in the evening and going to sleep wet. If anyone has any other ideas pls let me know. I will also have his beak looked at and trimmed and also get him calcium powder. I will make sure he is dry before going to sleep. I will disinfect the areas on the feet where I can see the blackish colouring and get some anti fungal cream. If it doesn't clear Up I will get Vets assistance.
Should be easy to tell the padloper from a hingeback. From your pictures, and the deformity of this tortoise it is not obvious here from these pictures. If you could post some good pictures that are in focus and show all views of the shell top and bottom, and the legs, we can let you know for certain what you have. Also a good picture of the black spot you are concerned about would be helpful. A fungus on this type tortoise would not be that common. An injury that has now developed some necrotic tissue could well be the situation.

Salome

South Afric
Should be easy to tell the padloper from a hingeback. From your pictures, and the deformity of this tortoise it is not obvious here from these pictures. If you could post some good pictures that are in focus and show all views of the shell top and bottom, and the legs, we can let you know for certain what you have. Also a good picture of the black spot you are concerned about would be helpful. A fungus on this type tortoise would not be that common. An injury that has now developed some necrotic tissue could well be the situation.
Thank you I will take some clearer pics tomorrow in daylight of all the angles you requested. I can't think of anyway he could get injured. I am home all day. I am the only one handling him. He lives in a safe environment. We don't have small children. He didn't fall that I know of. We have small old dogs but they don't go near him and as I said I'm home all day. The dogs are mostly inside the house with me. So he walks and sleeps peacefully where ever he wants in garden until I bring him in at night for safety. I don't think any birds would harm him. Well I hope its fungal otherwise I will just continue treating the area and keeping it clean and dry until it heals. Thank you for willingness to help. I realy don't want to loose this old guy cause he's been with us in the family for a long time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Salome

South Afric
Should be easy to tell the padloper from a hingeback. From your pictures, and the deformity of this tortoise it is not obvious here from these pictures. If you could post some good pictures that are in focus and show all views of the shell top and bottom, and the legs, we can let you know for certain what you have. Also a good picture of the black spot you are concerned about would be helpful. A fungus on this type tortoise would not be that common. An injury that has now developed some necrotic tissue could well be the situation.[/QUOTE
Thank you I will take some clearer pics tomorrow in daylight of all the angles you requested. I can't think of anyway he could get injured. I am home all day. I am the only one handling him. He lives in a safe environment. We don't have small children. He didn't fall that I know of. We have small old dogs but they don't go near him and as I said I'm home all day. The dogs are mostly inside the house with me. So he walks and sleeps peacefully where ever he wants in garden until I bring him in at night for safety. I don't think any birds would harm him. Well I hope its fungal otherwise I will just continue treating the area and keeping it clean and dry until it heals. Thank you for willingness to help. I realy don't want to loose this old guy cause he's been with us in the family for a long time.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That crack above the back legs isn't from being run over, that's his "hinge" and the reason he's called a hinge back. When threatened, they can sort of bend their shell in under them for protection because of that hinge.

Salome

South Afric
That crack above the back legs isn't from being run over, that's his "hinge" and the reason he's called a hinge back. When threatened, they can sort of bend their shell in under them for protection because of that hinge.
Well thats good news and interesting - wish I could tell my dad but I'll tell mom.

Salome

South Afric
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
Hi everyone. Trimmed his beak this morning and cleaned his feet. He ate a little but not much. I will try again later today. Posted the pics for identification purposes. Have a nice day. Salome

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    267.4 KB · Views: 22
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    191.7 KB · Views: 20
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    451.4 KB · Views: 20

Salome

South Afric
Thank you! I can’t get over how ancient he looks! He’s a beautiful old guy!
I know. Shame he's just been going about his own business all these years. And suddenly I realised that he is so old. I truly hope I can get his appetite back. He's still in shock I think after I trimmed his beak shame. I will try to get a variety of fruit and vegs to see if I can get him to eat abit more. I'm struggling to get snails for him. He loves snails. But I will not give up. I cleaned the black areas on his front feet iwith disinfectant diluted. So I will just keep my eye on that. It's realy hot 35-39 degrees and humid and I've read somewfhere I must pour abit of a packet of electrolites into his drinking water to hydrate him. So I will try that. I will try anything for this old man. His name is Skillie. See u