Introduction

Skip Dog

Hello. My name is Jared and I'm a new papa to a baby scalata. I'm really excited to watch my little guy grow up. There is lots of great information here and I'm looking forward to learning from all of you.

All the best,

Jared

Attachments

• IMG_20150904_164445295.jpg
    IMG_20150904_164445295.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 19

Skip Dog

My enclosure is a work in progress. He's in a small aquarium for now but will be upgrading soon.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Well, between you and those devices that put words into one's mouth, we've become pretty darned good at interpreting what people are trying to say.

Welcome to the Forum!!!!

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Hi and welcome from the Desert
m0754.gif
Jared !

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hi, Jared, did you read the threads linked for you ?
i'm sorry, but I don't understand (me being dim, I expect), but what do you use for heating, lighting and UVB ?

Skip Dog

Yes, I've read a lot. Right now I have him by a window and I take him out daily for walks. I keep him on the porch. I'm in the Tampa area so staying warm this time of year is no problem. I keep him well hydrated and I'm looking for a "house" and will get a heat pad soon.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
A piece of slate or sandstone to eat food off might be a good idea in there, so that he can have access to food to nibble all day and it keeps the beak nicely trimmed as well.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Heat pad may not be such a great idea.
Many say that the heat should be from above a tortoise, not from below, it's unhealthy, but you do need your temps to be kept up at night and in the winter, check the care sheet for temperature details and use a digital thermometer at substrate level to measure the four key temps, basking spot, warm side, cool side and night time, but with a small enclosure like that (I know you plan to upgrade), you're not going to get much of a gradient.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yup. UVB doesn't pass through glass.

Skip Dog

I'm going to take him out for walks at least 5 times a week. I'm worried about sleep cycle and keeping him healthy.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I'm going to take him out for walks at least 5 times a week. I'm worried about sleep cycle and keeping him healthy.
If you want short cuts get a cat and just let it run outside til it gets hit by a car or a predictor eats it ! But with torts these smart tort people work together to already have most of the best short cuts ! Have a great tort day. !

Skip Dog

Grandpa Turtle, I don't understand. I don't know if your implying I'm lazy or ignorant or what. The walks I speak of will be in my back yard, supervised the entire time. I've read that taking them out 15-30 minutes 3 times a week will be sufficient for uva and uvb. I already have 2 cats, not interested in another.

I must be misunderstanding something.