Introduction

Deni

Hi, I have a 3 year old sulcata tortoise. We have had her/him since it was 2 months old. We named her, Hallelujah! At the present time she has free range of our house. I put her in a shallow dish pan of warm water and she urinates and has her bowelmovements in the pan. Rarely urinates at other times. She has a corner in the kitchen w appropriate lighting. We live in Michigan, so we plan to keep her with us indoors. She weighs 3.5 lbs right now. Hopefully, she will out live us as she is spoken for by our daughter, and is stated in our estate. At the moment, I can't figure out how to attach 2 photos or I would. We also have fresh water chiclids tank, a salt water reef tank, a 14year old Chinese Shar Pei, and a 15 year old calico cat. We love are animals n take good care. I hope to gain knowledge how others have lived w tortoises roaming their homes and meeting humidity needs.
Deni
Deni, Yesterday at 9:11 PMReport Concern

IMG_0059.JPGIMG_0060.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0060.JPG
    IMG_0060.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 4

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Deni, and welcome to the Forum!

We've read horror stories of how little tortoises died from eating small bits of plastic, dust bunnies, etc. or from having their heads crushed in the door, or being stepped on, so I doubt you're going to get many "ideas" of how we allow our tortoises to roam around on the floor. Most of us here believe a tortoise belongs in a dedicated habitat that is set up to mimic his outdoor life.

I believe that tortoises are wild animals. They haven't undergone years and years of human intervention to make them a domesticated animal. And as wild animals, they belong outside. All my tortoises live outside year round with heated shelters. For example, my 110lb sulcata, Dudley, lives in a heated shed. Every morning I open the door and he's free to stay in or come out, as he desires. Yesterday morning there was quite a bit of frost on the ground and when I looked over at Dudley's yard, there were sulcata tracks in the frost, but he was inside his house, where it's warm.

We'll try to state our opinions nicely, but one or more of us might get a bit carried away. We only have your animal's best interest at heart.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hi Dani and welcome to the forum! !

Deni

Hi Deni, and welcome to the Forum!

We've read horror stories of how little tortoises died from eating small bits of plastic, dust bunnies, etc. or from having their heads crushed in the door, or being stepped on, so I doubt you're going to get many "ideas" of how we allow our tortoises to roam around on the floor. Most of us here believe a tortoise belongs in a dedicated habitat that is set up to mimic his outdoor life.

I believe that tortoises are wild animals. They haven't undergone years and years of human intervention to make them a domesticated animal. And as wild animals, they belong outside. All my tortoises live outside year round with heated shelters. For example, my 110lb sulcata, Dudley, lives in a heated shed. Every morning I open the door and he's free to stay in or come out, as he desires. Yesterday morning there was quite a bit of frost on the ground and when I looked over at Dudley's yard, there were sulcata tracks in the frost, but he was inside his house, where it's warm.

We'll try to state our opinions nicely, but one or more of us might get a bit carried away. We only have your animal's best interest at heart.
I
Hi and Welcome!:)

Deni

Hi and thank you for the welcome. I completely understand your concern and we will try to come up with a remedy to how we are housing her this summer. Today it is only 15 degrees out n the wind chill makes it near zero. I have learned a lot so far and the store we bought her from has a tortoise that is their mascot. His name is Frankie and you can read his story if you google Lou's pet store n Frankie Cam. We hope to continue growing in knowledge as she (I think?) grows. I am able to bare critisim because the saltwater pages are full of bullying, Thank you for the welcome and the input.
Deni

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, we don't allow bullying here, but some of us get very outspoken. I thought your tortoise might be female too. The right anal scute and the scute above it are a bit misshapen, but the gular and tail are very small (female).