Is a Zoo Med Tortoise House too big for a baby pancake?

jtpaten

Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
In preparation for the arrival next week of a 2-month-old pancake tortoise, I bought and assembled a Zoo Med Tortoise House. I told the breeder this and he suggested I go with something smaller, like a 20-gallon tank, which I do not have. He said the tortoise house will be better suited for my tortoise three years from now and then for the rest of its life. The enclosure is 36" long, 24" wide and 12" deep. But 12" x 24" of that is a covered hide area. I wonder if I could just wall off that portion of the enclosure and place a moveable hide in the main section. I'm a newbie at tortoise keeping so I'm unfamiliar with how important enclosure size is when these animals are so young.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I think it will be fine, because of all the "furniture" you have to add to it. They like to shelter in crevices, so you'll need some rocks, etc. I don't know if baby pancakes need a lot of humidity, but it may be that you have to figure out a way to cover the enclosure to keep the humidity inside. Lot's of plants, either fake or real, a waterer, a large tile for food, by the time you get all that stuff in there, the Zoo Med tort table won't be too big. I would take the lid off the built in hiding place and use the whole thing.