Is dried spray paint safe?

Henry’s mom

Location (City and/or State)
Tampa FL
Hi all. Is it to spray paint plywood for the base of my enclosure if it’s covered/lined with a liner? I don’t have to but it would look a lot nicer. Thanks!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi all. Is it to spray paint plywood for the base of my enclosure if it’s covered/lined with a liner? I don’t have to but it would look a lot nicer. Thanks!
Indoors or out? Any paint should be fine once the fumes are gone and it is completely cured. This could be weeks for some paints, and hours for other coatings. Spray paint wouldn't be my first choice. I'd go with a good exterior primer and paint. That will hold up longer.

@Markw84 might have more insight.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I gave all of my wooden enclosures a good coating of KILZ. Protects the wood & helps keep mildew, mold, etc away. A gallon goes a long way too. After painting, I applied thick plastic liners on the bottom & about 1/3 way up the side. Mulch substrate on top.

Henry’s mom

Tampa FL
Indoors or out? Any paint should be fine once the fumes are gone and it is completely cured. This could be weeks for some paints, and hours for other coatings. Spray paint wouldn't be my first choice. I'd go with a good exterior primer and paint. That will hold up longer.

@Markw84 might have more insight.
Hi Tom. The paint would be on the floor of the enclosure and will be covered but the enclosure is indoors. The spray paint has a primer in it (thinking maybe it wouldn’t absorb as much?) and I don’t remember fumes lingering long after using it in the past but I wasn’t thinking safety of an animal at the time.
The outdoor paint/primer I could do instead but the new enclosure arrives tomorrow and I want to get him in it asap so maybe I should just leave it natural. Maybe I can just sand the edges and hand paint that after it’s built to prevent splinters? (For me not him haha)

Henry’s mom

Tampa FL
I gave all of my wooden enclosures a good coating of KILZ. Protects the wood & helps keep mildew, mold, etc away. A gallon goes a long way too. After painting, I applied thick plastic liners on the bottom & about 1/3 way up the side. Mulch substrate on top.
Great! Thank you for letting me know. I wouldn’t have known if that was safe so I appreciate it. I didn’t think it would get moldy etc since it’s covered but probably can especially since it’s going to be covered with a greenhouse.