Is he ok?

Noraandmarsmallow

My freind recently got a new tortoise, but there are a few concerns i have. First off, this may be just for hermanns but i read you should never use pine, and The terrarium floor, smells very strong. Second off, (this is a red foot tort btw) my freind frees him things like squash And zuchini, is that ok??? Lastly, I'm not sure if this is The nature if The red foot tort, but he seems to be lethargig, And sleeps most of The day. Is this tortoise ok?

tortdad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NW Houston TX
The food you listed is fine as part of the diet but not the entire diet. Do you know what temps, humidity or type of lights your friend is using?
Www.Tortoiselibrary.com has care sheets and diet info. Tell your friend to take a look or maybe you can go (under the South American tortoise section) and print it out for them.

VBgecko

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Minnesota
Lastly, I'm not sure if this is The nature if The red foot tort, but he seems to be lethargig, And sleeps most of The day. Is this tortoise ok?

Personalities may vary, but sleeping during the day is normal for my little guy. He's more active in the morning and evenings. However, if the tort is not eating like a pig and not too responsive (eyes closed, visibly weak looking while attempting to walk, no longer moving itself in and out of basking area) then I would call that cause for concern and seek an opinion from a vet.

Other than that, follow tortdad's suggestion of the care sheet to assure he has the correct lighting, dietary requirements, and humidity (important for RFs).

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
One shouldn't use pine for any type of tortoise. The RF tortoise needs a substrate you can moisten.