Is it normal for a baby tortoise to make croaking sounds?

Joseph Flores

Location (City and/or State)
MERCEDES, TX
I have a baby elopard tortoise and he makes like a frog type of croaking sound. Is this normal because I got scared if hes getting a respiratory disease and I got his temperature all right but I want to know if it's normal for a baby leopard tortoise.

Sa Ga

MN
What is your tort doing while he makes those noises? Is there any discharge from his nares? Does his breathing seem labored? Is he eating well?

Morla makes a high-pitched squeak (that can have a lower pitch at times) when she's eating. She also sometimes whistles when she breathes (and I just took her to the vet for that to be sure she's ok), though there were no other symptoms like discharge or labored breathing.

Joseph Flores

MERCEDES, TX
What is your tort doing while he makes those noises? Is there any discharge from his nares? Does his breathing seem labored? Is he eating well?

Morla makes a high-pitched squeak (that can have a lower pitch at times) when she's eating. She also sometimes whistles when she breathes (and I just took her to the vet for that to be sure she's ok), though there were no other symptoms like discharge or labored breathing.
No he doesnt have any discharge of any sort and eat very well. I've been monitoring him and I'm a new tortoise owner so obviously these type of things just get me worried easily but he does yawn at times but not like literally every hour or minute, just every morning and night time.

Sa Ga

MN
No he doesnt have any discharge of any sort and eat very well. I've been monitoring him and I'm a new tortoise owner so obviously these type of things just get me worried easily but he does yawn at times but not like literally every hour or minute, just every morning and night time.

Without knowing more, it sounds like he's fine.

I know people are going to ask
for this info, so I'll just throw it out there in case they can catch something....
1.) Temps you have in your enclosure
2.) Type of enclosure
3.) Lighting
4.) Humidity level
5.) Substrate used
6.) Diet
7.) If possible, pics of your setup.

Sometimes issues are just starting or you can head them off by having the others help guide you.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Not normal. What is the overnight low temperature in your enclosure and how are you maintaining that?

Joseph Flores

MERCEDES, TX
Not normal. What is the overnight low temperature in your enclosure and how are you maintaining that?
His overnight temp can be between 75 and 80 and his basking is 95 and is ambient regular day temp is 80 and the humidty is always between 70 and 80 or even 85 everyday. He doesn't have any discharge or any sort and his nostrils are clear so I'm a bit worried.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
His overnight temp can be between 75 and 80 and his basking is 95 and is ambient regular day temp is 80 and the humidty is always between 70 and 80 or even 85 everyday. He doesn't have any discharge or any sort and his nostrils are clear so I'm a bit worried.
Under normal circumstances the night temp shouldn't drop below 80. Since you are having an issue, I'd keep the coldest part of the enclosure no lower than 85 day or night. Its good for the ambient to creep into the low 90s during the day.

lyingcat8

Indianapolis
Mine was making a clicking noise when we had the humidity too low in their enclosure. I've not heard them make the noise since we corrected that.