Is it possible to house an adult leopard tort inside?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
As a landlord, I can tell you Awesome, that the enclosure as Yvonne described it is far less damaging than a single small dog. Dander and urine from one dog can mess up an apartment real bad. Cats can get there too, but dogs can really mess a place up. The only pit fall is if that plastic laid down gets a hole in it. Double plastic and staple it up the sides on the outside, and then it's all about keeping the substrate clean.

Property managers set the rules for the places I have, and I am a pet friendly landlord, tortoises beat out dogs and cats in an instant.
so you'll be okay with a room in a house that you owned being turned into a tortoise room like that?

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
so you'll be okay with a room in a house that you owned being turned into a tortoise room like that?

Absoluteness to the awesomeness. Tortoises do not have odor less their actual poop. I have met too many people who can walk into a house and detect that a cat or dog had been there two or three tenants ago. Tortoises can be out, odor wise in hours. If tortoise poop water gets into a carpet, that may be a different story. Birds can be even worse than dogs or cats in terms of dander. Tortoises, no issues with dander, and the odor their poop makes airs out in hours.

I had over 100 tortoises in a room with enclosures floor to ceiling in a room that was about 12 by 15 with 12 foot ceiling. Those landlords were always amazed that there was no odor. That's what the care seems to be about odor. Keep the poop up, there is no tortoise dander (small bits of skin that become airborne, obviously there no fur, hair, or feathers) and there is no odor.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Absoluteness to the awesomeness. Tortoises do not have odor less their actual poop. I have met too many people who can walk into a house and detect that a cat or dog had been there two or three tenants ago. Tortoises can be out, odor wise in hours. If tortoise poop water gets into a carpet, that may be a different story. Birds can be even worse than dogs or cats in terms of dander. Tortoises, no issues with dander, and the odor their poop makes airs out in hours.

I had over 100 tortoises in a room with enclosures floor to ceiling in a room that was about 12 by 15 with 12 foot ceiling. Those landlords were always amazed that there was no odor. That's what the care seems to be about odor. Keep the poop up, there is no tortoise dander (small bits of skin that become airborne, obviously there no fur, hair, or feathers) and there is no odor.
Wow! So what you are saying is that 100 tortoises are better than 101 Dalmatians. In a room. LOL!!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
There was a man here and on Facebook called Chub's Leopards, he kept adult (larger race at that) leopards indoors much if not all of the year. They bred and seemed to thrive. If I recall he had three 4 x 8 panels of plywood in a "U" shape as the enclosure's foot print.

I did not re-scroll through the feed but here is a link, I think there are pictures here of the enclosure.

https://www.facebook.com/Chubs-Leopards-206914369352239/

I have seen many multi level enclosure that increase floor space without increasing foot print. At least two level would seem reasonable for even the largest leopard with a standard height ceiling.
I read where he sold his leopards and purchased an Aldabra. Sure hope that poor thing doesn't have to live inside 24/7. Just too sad to me an animal that is suppose to live outside doesn't at least ever see the outside.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hi, Jodie here. I have outdoor enclosures for 5 to 7 months of the year. I have heard of people keeping them indoors year round, but fortunately I don't have to.
If you're sure he is male at least you won't have to worry about nesting. What I have done is add insulation to my floor and cover that with a floating chipwood floor. Whether you use plywood or cheaper option, it has to be replaced every couple years. It is going to get peed on, and it is in my house. I use wood chips as an absorbing substrate in most of the room. I create an area raised a bit with brick ramps. I line it with plastic and fill with coco coir or coco husk. I keep it moist and put heat lamp here for basking area. I use a large dog kennel as a night box. I insulate the bottom and top. A Kane mat and radiant heat panel maintain over 80F. The Kane mat I put on a wood box to raise it a few inches. It goes in the back, and in the front I put several inches of substrate for humidity.

View attachment 182986 View attachment 182987 View attachment 182988 View attachment 182989 View attachment 182990
I lined the walls, to protect them, with shelving boards.
Good luck. If I had one tortoise and no outside area, I would do the whole room this way.
Home Depot carries a shower liner, that is laid under the build of a shower. It's soft thin pvc I believe and very durable. It comes on a roll and is grey. You can buy the roll or however much off the roll you want. A roll covers a lot. It's 5 feet wide, by however long you need. It's not expensive and you would probably never have to replace it. You can glue the whole thing down or just the seams.
Here's a link to a roll of it. Well worth the investment
http://m.homedepot.com/p/Oatey-5-ft-x-40-ft-Gray-PVC-Shower-Pan-Liner-Roll-41597/100343454

Nathania

I hate to ask but are you allowed to keep a tortoise in an apartment according to your lease? What about security deposit things like that?
I don't mind your asking. He hasn't been a problem so far , the lease just talks about cats and dogs pretty much. But he really isn't that big right now so it hasn't caused any issues.

Nathania

Hi, Jodie here. I have outdoor enclosures for 5 to 7 months of the year. I have heard of people keeping them indoors year round, but fortunately I don't have to.
If you're sure he is male at least you won't have to worry about nesting. What I have done is add insulation to my floor and cover that with a floating chipwood floor. Whether you use plywood or cheaper option, it has to be replaced every couple years. It is going to get peed on, and it is in my house. I use wood chips as an absorbing substrate in most of the room. I create an area raised a bit with brick ramps. I line it with plastic and fill with coco coir or coco husk. I keep it moist and put heat lamp here for basking area. I use a large dog kennel as a night box. I insulate the bottom and top. A Kane mat and radiant heat panel maintain over 80F. The Kane mat I put on a wood box to raise it a few inches. It goes in the back, and in the front I put several inches of substrate for humidity.

View attachment 182986 View attachment 182987 View attachment 182988 View attachment 182989 View attachment 182990
I lined the walls, to protect them, with shelving boards.
Good luck. If I had one tortoise and no outside area, I would do the whole room this way.
That looks great!! Thanks for sharing. You must have very happy torts :)