Is it possible to tell the sex of a hatchling?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Maggie Cummings

My oldest Bob was 8 yrs I think and Tony was just 3 years when he showed off his manhood. But at any rate it several years before you can sex them...

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
Some breeders temperature-sex them (incubate at a certain temperature to increase the possibility of a certain sex). Not 100% by any means though...

My little tort was temp-sexed to be male so I'm going with that assumption for now.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
A lot of people do temp sex for female, i actually hear it more for females thne males. But its not 100 percent at all, I dont even care what my tortoise sex is, lol, it is what it is

jorrow

5 Year Member
Alabama
Mine was temp sexed to be a female.... Can anyone just give me a guess at the odds of her being a female???? She/he is a Brazilian RF by the way. And just out of curiosity how many degrees in temp. seperate a male from a female hatchling?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
jorrow said:
Mine was temp sexed to be a female.... Can anyone just give me a guess at the odds of her being a female???? She/he is a Brazilian RF by the way. And just out of curiosity how many degrees in temp. seperate a male from a female hatchling?

And that is the problem. The lower end is a couple of degrees to the middle, then a couple more degrees to the upper end. Not much leeway, so if your thermometer isn't working properly, the incubator might not be the temp you think it is. One or two degrees either way and, voila! the other sex.

Yvonne

jorrow

5 Year Member
Alabama
emysemys said:
jorrow said:

And that is the problem. The lower end is a couple of degrees to the middle, then a couple more degrees to the upper end. Not much leeway, so if your thermometer isn't working properly, the incubator might not be the temp you think it is. One or two degrees either way and, voila! the other sex.

Yvonne

THANKS Yvonne your a endless fountain of tort knowledge

Status
Not open for further replies.