is it safe to grow in shop bought compost?

johnandjade

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
scotland
hey all, we've finally got round to starting to grow our own plants for our tort.. have planted dandelion seeds (indoor) in a window box of coco coir but no sign of life after 2-3 weeks?

now im wondering if they wont grow in coir because of lack of nutrients? I hesitate to do thats as am worried of 'additives' bein consumed by ur 'lil guy.

any advice or tips would be much appreciated :)

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Seeds germinate from nutrients within. Lack of nutrients in coir could be a problem if they sprout and then stunt.

I don't remember off hand but check to see if dandelions need to be cooled before they sprout.

Alternatively, what's the temperature in that window? It's possible the the soil temp is too hot.

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
we'r in Scotland so high temps are are never an issue lol, the definition on 'tanned' here is used only in reference to house being broke into; ie, 'my house got tanned last night' lol. they havent sprouted yet, planted straight into coir.

im sure i've read of people planting into enclosure but not sure if seeded or a re plant :/

Prairie Mom

hey all, we've finally got round to starting to grow our own plants for our tort.. have planted dandelion seeds (indoor) in a window box of coco coir but no sign of life after 2-3 weeks?

now im wondering if they wont grow in coir because of lack of nutrients? I hesitate to do thats as am worried of 'additives' bein consumed by ur 'lil guy.

any advice or tips would be much appreciated :)
I've grown tons of dandelions in plain coir and peat moss indoors. I had them growing all winter long. This winter I used seeds I ordered on the internet as well as some that a forum member graciously sent me. All germinated fine in coir. If you want them to get big, you'll need to place them in soil eventually.

***Try placing the seeds on TOP of the coir WITHOUT burying them at all. Just let the watering press them into your medium and give them as much light as possible. I've had lots of success doing it this way. I use grow lights, but I'm sure a sunny window will do the job also. If they won't even grow simply placed on top of the coir with regular water sprays, then your seeds are duds. Good luck!