is my greek starting to pyramid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew Bounpraseuth

5 Year Member
My Greek whose name is Boog was bought from petsmart about 2 weeks ago and its crazy how comfortable we are to eachother already .. but im a little worried because his shell is hard but is a greek tortoise shell suppose to be completely smooth and no bumps at all? by bumps I mean that there seems to be layers on top of each carapace but not very high whatsoever but im just a little worried because I do live in low humidity(Washington) I keep his humidity up to about 20% i believe it needs to be a little higher at most times but i also keep a long dish of water in his enclosure at all times. is this ok? and i am going to post a pic of his shell from the side .. im sorry for the not the best quality photo . also is the orange strip in the crease of his shell anything bad?

Attachments

• boog orange.jpg
    boog orange.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 125
  • boog pyramid.jpg
    boog pyramid.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 158

Rover15

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ontario canada
i'm not 100% but it might be :s definitely look around for tips to increase humidity cover 2/3's of the enclosure with foil plastic wrap or plexiglass good luck hopefully someone will help out who know more

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Congrats on your new tortoise! He's a handsome fellow.

It looks like there may be a very, very small amount of old pyramiding - nothing to worry about, though.

Since this is already an adult specimen, I wouldn't worry too much about humidity - make sure you provide a good warm soak twice weekly, and have a waterdish available in the enclosure. I wouldn't cover the enclosure for an adult Greek. You can let it rain in his enclosure once a week or so by thoroughly misting everything, but be careful not to get things soggy on the cold end - don't want to cause a respiratory issue.

Matthew Bounpraseuth said:
My Greek whose name is Boog was bought from petsmart about 2 weeks ago and its crazy how comfortable we are to eachother already .. but im a little worried because his shell is hard but is a greek tortoise shell suppose to be completely smooth and no bumps at all? by bumps I mean that there seems to be layers on top of each carapace but not very high whatsoever but im just a little worried because I do live in low humidity(Washington) I keep his humidity up to about 20% i believe it needs to be a little higher at most times but i also keep a long dish of water in his enclosure at all times. is this ok? and i am going to post a pic of his shell from the side .. im sorry for the not the best quality photo . also is the orange strip in the crease of his shell anything bad?

Matthew Bounpraseuth

5 Year Member
biochemnerd808 said:

It looks like there may be a very, very small amount of old pyramiding - nothing to worry about, though.

Since this is already an adult specimen, I wouldn't worry too much about humidity - make sure you provide a good warm soak twice weekly, and have a waterdish available in the enclosure. I wouldn't cover the enclosure for an adult Greek. You can let it rain in his enclosure once a week or so by thoroughly misting everything, but be careful not to get things soggy on the cold end - don't want to cause a respiratory issue.
Thank you so much :)

biochemnerd808 said:

Thank you so much :)

Status
Not open for further replies.