my black geek wont able to poop for three straight days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyyoung749

5 Year Member
Hi, Im new to tortoise and Im learning how to breed them as a professional. Right now my black greek baby wont able to poop for three days. This is very unusual for my greek because he pooped at least once a day before this happened. I soaked him in a water for three days but no sign of poop. hes less active and it seems like hes bottom part of shell is kind of bigger then before. Im not sure what to do. Im really worried about my tortoise. Please help me guys!

agiletorts

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Jose, CA
Sorry to hear about your greek. So he won't poop but has he been eating normally in the past 3 days? Depending on where you live and the temperature, it's normal that your greek is preparing to hibernate, so he won't eat. And he doesn't eat, and he won't poop obviously.

cyyoung749

5 Year Member
agiletorts said:
Sorry to hear about your greek. So he won't poop but has he been eating normally in the past 3 days? Depending on where you live and the temperature, it's normal that your greek is preparing to hibernate, so he won't eat. And he doesn't eat, and he won't poop obviously.

hes eating very well but just not pooping. im very worried.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
At some point, if your tortoise is eating on a regular basis it will defecate. Could it be possible that it has been doing so but eating it? Does the tortoise have access to drinking water daily and/or is it being watered (soaked) on a regular basis? One good way to encourage it to defecate is to place the tortoise in shallow (knee high) tepid water and allow it to soak and drink at least every other day.

cyyoung749

5 Year Member
hes eating well but also drinks alot at the same time. I usually soak him every 2-3 day and humidity here is getting low like 25....

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Kim:

The fact that you feel the bottom shell is "bigger than before" is troublesome. It sounds like you have a sick tortoise on your hands. Can you take it to the vet?

Won't you please tell us a bit about your husbandry? Lights, size of habitat, temperature, etc.

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
Seriously people... Am I the only one that finds the title of this thread FRICKIN' HILARIOUS!!! I know that it's serious issue but some one had to break the ice here!

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
Oo lol I didn't even notice. I read it as Greek. But what got me was the won't instead of hasn't .

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
If you are CERTAIN that his plastron is swollen.....a vet visit may be good.

You say that you soak him every 2-3 days.....I would be soaking him everyday....especially if there is concern of food going in but none leaving the body...also are you certain he is not eating his poo as a snack? Perhaps give him a little pumpkin to aid naturally in getting things moving.....IMHO ...and you will also want to make sure his temps are high enough for his digestive system to operate at its optimum capacity....are you able to post a pic of his face as well as his body from the side and the rear leg areas....if you don't mind that is :D

cyyoung749

5 Year Member
ascott said:
If you are CERTAIN that his plastron is swollen.....a vet visit may be good.

You say that you soak him every 2-3 days.....I would be soaking him everyday....especially if there is concern of food going in but none leaving the body...also are you certain he is not eating his poo as a snack? Perhaps give him a little pumpkin to aid naturally in getting things moving.....IMHO ...and you will also want to make sure his temps are high enough for his digestive system to operate at its optimum capacity....are you able to post a pic of his face as well as his body from the side and the rear leg areas....if you don't mind that is :D

yes sir i will post it trrow.

emysemys said:
Hi Kim:

The fact that you feel the bottom shell is "bigger than before" is troublesome. It sounds like you have a sick tortoise on your hands. Can you take it to the vet?

Won't you please tell us a bit about your husbandry? Lights, size of habitat, temperature, etc.
right now my greek is about 2 inch and i got him about month ago. I have glass aquariuam with repit bark and hay for bedding. I have uvb ray,heat emitter, hot spot is about 85-90 cold side about 80 or lower,humidity about 40 it really depends on water spray. My greek seems to be very unactive im not sure whats wrong....

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
If it were me I would provide a basking hot spot of around 90-95ish and a cool end no lower than 80ish. I would also use coco coir for the substrate along with some organic soil (not potting soil) or good ole fashion clean dirt, free from any sprays or other foreign items.

I would also make sure that his humidity stays around 30-40ish as they are prone to RI if kept too wet. But you said your humidity is near 40ish...so that seems fine.

What is your diet for him? What type of uvb lighting do you use and what type of heat source for basking / hot spot do you use?
:D

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
I have to disagree that the ambient humidity should be kept at 30-40%. That is much too dry for a young Northern Mediterranean Ibera. A 50-65% ambient humidity range encourages normal activity. A lower range, accompanied by normal activity temperatures will cause the tortoise to be less active and can also be the beginning of dehydration. Increased humidity alone does not cause respiratory infections. An active level humidity range as well as correct temperatures pose no problems. Dampness, with lower temperatures do.

MatrixDJ

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I agree with GBtortoises and ascott. However the substrate should not be coco coir. It can cause impaction and is not natural from where they come from according to the Breeder that I got my tort from. He suggested 100% cypress mulch and later in life switch to more of a soil blend. Remember, they need to be in as natural of an environment as possible. You do need to raise the temp in the basking spot at least 10 degrees. Shoot for around 95 - 110 at the highest. If the plastron is swelling, see a vet. No one likes a sick tortoise!! Good Luck!

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Cypress mulch does not hold enough moisture and is much too coarse for baby tortoises unless it is ground up finer than landscape grade. Coconut coir alone isn't a good alternative because by itself with heat it can dry out rapidly. I have been using the following mixture with small tortoises for some time now with excellent results (the percentages are approximates): 60% organic potting or top soil, 30% coconut coir and the rest ground leaf litter and sphagnum moss. The mixture retains moisture well if sprayed lightly once or twice daily and saturated well about once a week. It also is soft enough for tortoises to burrow into yet firm enough on top to allow for good solid footing.

Just about any substance that is ingested that cannot be digested may cause impaction. But the easy cure for that is to feed tortoises on a large flat stone or in a shallow dish in order to minimize the amount of substrate that may come in contact with food.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hey guys...this little tort did not make it....it had an infection that the vet believed to have already been afflicting the baby before it was sent to this forum member...I just thought I would let you know... thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.