Is my Hermann too small?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CJohnson

5 Year Member
I have a 10 month old Hermann I've had since Sep. '12. When I got him he was only 4.5cm and 20.8g. Today he was 5.6cm and 31.6g. That difference doesn't seem right in 9 months. He was sick earlier this year with a severe respiratory infection, and I almost lost him, but he pulled out of it like a champ and has been eating a lot and had just gone through a massive shed which is still a little evident. Any input would be extremely appreciated. Thank you.

Some answers to some questions you'll surely have is: he has a basking spot under a Powersun 100W MVB, which maintains a 95-105 degrees under it. Warm side averages about 80 degrees, cool side about 70 degrees. Night time temps about 60-65. Substrate when he got sick was 50/50 play sand and top soil, now is 60% topsoil, 30% coco coir and 10% sphagnum moss. Humidity is between 50-60%. Daily soaks everyday for about 20 minutes. His diet mainly comprises of spring mix with mustard greens sprinkled with ground Timothy hay while I grow his "Testudo Seed Mix" and flowers. I give him Rep Cal Calcium +D3, which was everyday along with Herptivite, but have backed off to about 3 times a week while supplementing with D3 free calcium daily. He does get his daily dose of sunshine here, but he doesn't stay out long due to the extreme dryness and heat of southern Colorado.
ImageUploadedByTortForum1372184351.839769.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1372184429.957370.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1372184493.611364.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

MikeCow1

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Orange County, CA
Had him checked for parasites? My Indian Star is the same way and I'm about to take him in and have him checked for them

CJohnson

5 Year Member
I have not had him checked, though I'm taking some poo to the vet tomorrow for a fecal exam.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
He will have been set back by his illness, but it sounds like he is well and active now.

As long as the fecal is clear, keep doing what you are doing. He will probabky put on a growth spurt at some stage and catch up again :)

CJohnson

5 Year Member
Thanks JoesMum. I think he is going through a little growth spurt due to his massive shedding. It freaked me out at first when I seen all this flaky skin on his head and rear legs, almost looked like he has wearing socks
He was sick for a good few months, and finally had to give him Baytril shots every day, something I hope I never have to do again, the poor little guy.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
When Joe got a URI as a fully fledged adult it took months after the injections before he started to gain weight properly. Once he did, he was piling the food away. Probably double what he eats normally.

CJohnson

5 Year Member
That's comforting to know. It's only been a month since he's been off the meds. He has been putting the food away pretty good since then too. I was worried a little since his poo has been a little soft, which I chock up to his mainstay if spring mix, which is why I've been sprinkling his food with Timothy hay. Weeds haven't been too plentiful around here since we've been in an extreme drought, which is why I'm growing my own indoors.

CJohnson

5 Year Member
Just finished with Johann's fecal exam, all clear, no parasites or abnormalities! That's one less thing to stress about now. [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Re: RE: Is my Hermann too small?

CJohnson said:
Just finished with Johann's fecal exam, all clear, no parasites or abnormalities! That's one less thing to stress about now. [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]

That's good news indeed :)

Status
Not open for further replies.