Is my Horsefield tortoise a male or female ?

Russiano esiotrot

Location (City and/or State)
England
Hi was wondering if anyone could help I have had my Russian Horsefield for 4-5 years but am struggling to know it’s gender ? Can any one help or distinguish if it is male or female?
Thankyou in advance :)
5004D020-3456-424E-BE56-B27E2C5B4399.jpegB3DC73B9-BCDE-4516-BB2B-75C3E55056EB.jpeg341D81BF-9D0A-46CA-8FAF-300B4AF168D9.jpegEAD959C7-CFCE-4046-8AE9-A6B167C0F86D.jpeg

LJL1982

UK
I think they all look female until they are fully mature. May be too young to tell yet
I agree. I would go female on this one other than without the concavity of plastron on Russians I think the supracaudal scute curve can be a good indicator and this one's seems to wrap under like a males...and the anal scutes Could as yet shallow out so I wouldn't 100% say female either, though I would 80% it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi was wondering if anyone could help I have had my Russian Horsefield for 4-5 years but am struggling to know it’s gender ? Can any one help or distinguish if it is male or female?
Thankyou in advance :)
View attachment 353104View attachment 353105View attachment 353106View attachment 353107
Hello and welcome. It is still too small to tell.

We can see in your pictures that you have received the typical bad pet store advice. I would like to offer this info to help you and prevent any harm coming to your tortoise:

Russiano esiotrot

England
Hello and welcome. It is still too small to tell.

We can see in your pictures that you have received the typical bad pet store advice. I would like to offer this info to help you and prevent any harm coming to your tortoise:
What do you mean buy bad pet store advice please let me what I can do better for my tort.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
What do you mean buy bad pet store advice please let me what I can do better for my tort.
Hi and welcome,
Most pet shops know very little about tort care and often sell unsuitable and even unsafe equipment for profit - from the wrong substrate for the species to lamps which can burn tort eyes, inaccurate thermometers and dishes which can be drowning hazards etc. There is also a lot of out dated advice posted on places like FB and other internet sites but you'll only get up to date information here.
Read the advice that has been linked especially this section - https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-best-way-to-raise-any-temperate-species-of-tortoise.183131/
Ask as many questions as you like - members here can soon help you improve things for your tort.

Russiano esiotrot

England
Hi and welcome,
Most pet shops know very little about tort care and often sell unsuitable and even unsafe equipment for profit - from the wrong substrate for the species to lamps which can burn tort eyes, inaccurate thermometers and dishes which can be drowning hazards etc. There is also a lot of out dated advice posted on places like FB and other internet sites but you'll only get up to date information here.
Read the advice that has been linked especially this section - https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-best-way-to-raise-any-temperate-species-of-tortoise.183131/
Ask as many questions as you like - members here can soon help you improve things for your tort.
Thankyou I really appreciate any advice or tips :)

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Hello and welcome.🤗 kinda looks female to me too simply because of the * in the darling's tail. But like others have said maybe not because of the age. I just hope you don't get the surprise of your life finding out "it's a boy" so be prepared.☺️

Russiano esiotrot

England
Hello and welcome.🤗 kinda looks female to me too simply because of the * in the darling's tail. But like others have said maybe not because of the age. I just hope you don't get the surprise of your life finding out "it's a boy" so be prepared.☺️
I named him/her Bruno when I got him but recently been doubting his/her gender 🙈

cpl1307

Lancashire
One of my Russians is only 16 months old and the same size as this tortoise. He/she weighs 317g. Its been unbelievable how big its gotten over the past few months from the tiny little thing I had when I first got it. REALLY STRONG aswell and loves lifting everything upside down. Mostly heavy plants pots that are really not light at all. 56g she/He was when it arrived. 😲

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Some how I missed something. I don't see a picture.

cpl1307

Lancashire
I thought they had vanished myself

Attachments

• 20231129_125854.jpg
    20231129_125854.jpg
    526.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 20231129_125912.jpg
    20231129_125912.jpg
    262.3 KB · Views: 2