Is my new tortoise all right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BH-Tortoise

5 Year Member
Hello :)

Today I finally got my first Tortoise, it is a spur thigh tortoise. I put him in his tortoise table and he went straight underneath his log hideout and dug a hole, which I understand is normal. He has shown a little interest in food however he hasn't drunk any water yet and doesn't seem interested in doing so :/ He is now digging another hole and keeps jutting his head and front legs forwards and opening his mouth. Is he ok?

It has been 4 hours since I put him in, should I even be worried?

Thanks,
Ben :)

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
The hiding would be normal for a new one, but the jutting head and opening mouth is not.
It can be a sign of a respiratory infection and he is having trouble breathing. Where did it come from?
What are your temps?

BH-Tortoise

5 Year Member
He looked fine in the shop and I was allowed to look at the tortoise close up and he was fine. Temps are 86 in the hot spot and 68 elsewhere.

Robert

5 Year Member
Galaxy far, far away...
Approximately how old is your tort? Can you post pictures of your tort and his/her tort table? This might help folks to assist you. At first read, I would be inclined to suggest bumping up your temps, but I'm not one of the experts. Good luck.

BH-Tortoise

5 Year Member
He was born in July 2010, I will try and get some pictures uploaded soon.

Picture 2333.jpgPicture 2334.jpgPicture 2335.jpgPicture 2337.jpgPicture 2338.jpg

Here are the pictures, I took a photo with my hand in to get an idea of size.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
If he continues to exhibit signs of a respiratory infection, a trip to the Vet is needed for antibiotics.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
Opening of the mouth never sounds good for reptiles, could be a simple respiratory infection to pneumonia,
If he continues with this behavior then you need to get him to a vet.
Raise the temps to 95 in the hot spot and 75 in the cooler area,

Give him a good soak, in my experience if he is ill and he is not hydrated then antibiotics should not be administered as it could damage the kidneys,

So keep him well hydrated then the antibiotics can be started straight the way if they are needed.
:(

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Since Hes still new it will take him a couple of weeks to come around, eat and be active!
Also hes A Babby so ge will love to go in his hide or borrow in the corner!
The temps definitely need to get bumped up, to around 90-100 in the basking and around 80ish everywhere else in the tank!
Be Sure to spray his shell and his encloure several times daily, and bath him daily!

Rjhoop

5 Year Member
Western N.Y. on Lake Erie
What is that a Greek Spur Thigh?Did you soak him yet?
And i know im new but i dont think the temps have anything ta do with it, he has been doing this since you put him in and its only been 4 hours!!But yes your temps were low...

Status
Not open for further replies.