Is my sulcata blind?

hawaiicmd

Location (City and/or State)
Bartonville
Hi, I just got my new baby yesterday and I'm worried he may be blind? Could someone tell me if this looks normal, please? I have soaked him for 30 mins last night and today, but there doesn't seem to be any change and also not eating :(20221219_155251.jpg20221220_111627.jpg

AmandaF

Congresbury
I’m not an expert, however he maybe very anxious about his change in homes. Give him a hide, somewhere he will feel secure. A more experienced member will be able to help you further. Amanda

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi, I just got my new baby yesterday and I'm worried he may be blind? Could someone tell me if this looks normal, please? I have soaked him for 30 mins last night and today, but there doesn't seem to be any change and also not eating :(View attachment 352674View attachment 352673
There things typically cause this problem:
1. Wrong UV bulbs. Cfl type bulbs will sometimes burn their eyes.
2. Dry dusty or sandy substrate.
3. Low temps. This species needs it hot. No lower than 80 day or night, and day time AMBIENT should climb into the low 90s, while the basking area is near 100.

Read this first. There is a care sheet for sulcatas at the end:

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi and welcome. Read and follow Tom's advice and your baby will have the BEST POSSIBLE Chance to survive and thrive in your care. Let us have details of how you are keeping him.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Heat his enclosure to 85°F day and night. Give him lots of things in the enclosure to hide behind (to get away from the harsh lighting) and soak him in warm water for a half hour daily.

He's not blind, but his eyes are being held closed because of outside circumstances - harsh/wrong light, abrasive substrate, too cool, etc.

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
It looks like it's eyes are very dry looking, try a nice warm soaking. Hopefully over time it will get comfortable and start coming out more, when you see it soaking and looking around while lying in the Superman position, that when you know it's getting use to you. Goodluck