Is my tortoise okay?

JaySparks

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
London
My tortoise has not been as active in the last week or so. I always find Logan in this position and won't really move at all. Logan will also close his eyes from time to time and after picking him up he will hide away and only come out after about an hour. All my temperatures are fine.
http://imgur.com/a/hruph

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
My tortoise has not been as active in the last week or so. I always find Logan in this position and won't really move at all. Logan will also close his eyes from time to time and after picking him up he will hide away and only come out after about an hour. All my temperatures are fine.
http://imgur.com/a/hruph
Is your tort eating?
Is your tort gaining or losing weight?
Are you using a temperature gun type thermometer to check temperatures? (they're most accurate)
How frequently are you soaking? And for how long?

If it's very hot weather by you are, it may simply be that your tort is being active at different times of day... that photo shows a typical 'relaxed tort' position.

However, if your tort isn't eating and/or is losing weight then there may be a problem.

I recommend that you soak your tort for at least 30 minutes in warm water first thing every morning for the time being.

JaySparks

5 Year Member
London
Is your tort eating?
Are you using a temperature gun type thermometer to check temperatures? (they're most accurate)

If it's very hot weather by you are, it may simply be that your tort is being active at different times of day... that photo shows a typical 'relaxed tort' position.

However, if your tort isn't eating and/or is losing weight then there may be a problem.

I recommend that you soak your tort for at least 30 minutes in warm water first thing every morning for the time being.

He isn't going out of his way to eat tbh but he has gained weight. He was around 88 grams when I first got him in may. He is now 113 grams and is about to be 1 year old in a few days.

JaySparks

5 Year Member
London
Is your tort eating?

I followed your advice and I did purchase a gun thermometer and temps are good. I soak him every 3 days for about 30 minutes but throughout the week I feed him very thin slices of cucumber. He is peeing a lot.Very small ammounts of urates around the size of a grain of rice.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
At that age, I would soak more frequently than twice a week. Twenty minute soaks every other day are nearer the mark.

Is the perceived urate like mucus or solid or gritty? If solid or gritty then that indicates dehydration.

Otherwise, I don't think you have much to worry about. Your tort is eating and gaining weight. Tortoises don't do a lot. Their day consists of basking, looking for food, eating and snoozing. The position your tort is in in that photo is relaxed-sprawl-snoozing... Not concerned about the risk of attack or predation.

JaySparks

5 Year Member
London
At that age, I would soak more frequently than twice a week. Twenty minute soaks every other day are nearer the mark.

Is the perceived urate like mucus or solid or gritty? If solid or gritty then that indicates dehydration.

Otherwise, I don't think you have much to worry about. Your tort is eating and gaining weight. Tortoises don't do a lot. Their day consists of basking, looking for food, eating and snoozing. The position your tort is in in that photo is relaxed-sprawl-snoozing... Not concerned about the risk of attack or predation.
Should I soak him once a day? The urates are like toothpaste consistency. Is a tortoise with no urates at all healthy? I've been feeding him romaine, lamb lettuce, wild rocket, cucumber, salad cress and endive. I'm unable to feed him weeds because I can't find any where I live but I am growing him all the staples like dandelion, plantain etc I bought the shelled warriors seed mix and others too. The only problem is that they are growing very slow.