Is my tortoise tail stuck?

Jackiemuscat

Location (City and/or State)
Northampton
We’ve had an issue recently with my 3 year old marginated tortoise and a prolapse penis, which we seem to sporadically solve (by using a cotton bud to gently push it back in) but it keeps on happening and I think it’s his tail.

Two photos below show it as it should be and then a minute later the top of it pops under his shell which I think is causing the prolapse.

Can anyone confirm this? Any tips on what we should do?

Attachments

• 8E7D5677-780C-486F-88CB-74E2A04F061E.jpeg
    8E7D5677-780C-486F-88CB-74E2A04F061E.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
  • 9FC2C367-86C8-49CE-992A-348F43BB42D4.jpeg
    9FC2C367-86C8-49CE-992A-348F43BB42D4.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 14

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Are you sure it's a prolapse and not him just flashing?
A prolapse won't/can't go back in on it's own. A flashing of his penis will go back in on its own.
Usually straining from lack of hydration and/or stones will cause a prolapse.

Jackiemuscat

Northampton
Are you sure it's a prolapse and not him just flashing?
A prolapse won't/can't go back in on it's own. A flashing of his penis will go back in on its own.
Usually straining from lack of hydration and/or stones will cause a prolapse.
Well his penis had been out consistently until we helped it go back in so I think it’s a prolapse.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Are you letting him put it back in himself? Three years of age is when a lot of them have discovered their male part. At this time they have it out a lot for about a month or two and then they kinda get over it and dont expose it as often.
They will keep it out for a short time, especially in warm soaks, but will put it away.
I just want to be sure you didn't put it in for him prematurely? Did you have to shove it in and did it go in easy? Or
Was it difficult to get it back in? Or did you basically have to touch it and it went in?
Does it only come out when he tucks his tail?
What is the routine for soaking him?
What is the humidity level in his enclosure?
@Yvonne G

Jackiemuscat

Northampton
Are you letting him put it back in himself? Three years of age is when a lot of them have discovered their male part. At this time they have it out a lot for about a month or two and then they kinda get over it and dont expose it as often.
They will keep it out for a short time, especially in warm soaks, but will put it away.
I just want to be sure you didn't put it in for him prematurely? Did you have to shove it in and did it go in easy? Or
Was it difficult to get it back in? Or did you basically have to touch it and it went in?
Does it only come out when he tucks his tail?
What is the routine for soaking him?
What is the humidity level in his enclosure?
@Yvonne G
Thank you for helping.

He can't put it back in himself. When we help him put it back in, he then does a wee and then it's out again - and I think it's because his tail gets caught up under his shell.

I have to help it back in, first I have to move the tail out from under the shell and then with a cotton bud I coax it back in. I think the tail is swollen slightly as this has been happening for a couple of weeks now.

Soaking right now is 4/5 times a week because of this issue. Removed all sand from his enclosure so it's not getting gritty when it's out. Enclosure is 90 degrees in daytime, 75-80 degrees at night time (have both a day and night heating lamp)

Appreciate any help you can give us.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sand should stay removed it causes impaction.
What species is this? Butt shot isnt enough to tell lol.
@Yvonne G may be able to help further.
I don't know if the tail is the problem or if he is straining from a blockage.
Does he pee and poop otherwise?

Reactions: Ink

Jackiemuscat

Northampton
Sand should stay removed it causes impaction.
What species is this? Butt shot isnt enough to tell lol.
@Yvonne G may be able to help further.
I don't know if the tail is the problem or if he is straining from a blockage.
Does he pee and poop otherwise?
Generally he poops in the bath and pees regularly. He’s a marginated.

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
Hi there. I just read this thread and I’m also thinking along the same lines as what @wellington has suggested. I have a Hermann’s tortoise who is 3 years old. When he discovered his penis, it made multiple daily appearances. Whenever I would put him in water for a soak, his penis would come out. Every time he pooped or peed, same thing. He would stand up tall on a piece of slate in his enclosure and bring it out. This behaviour went on for 6 or 7 months before he calmed down a little. I really don’t think the tip of his tail getting caught up under his shell would prevent it from going back in. My suggestion is to keep the soaks going to make sure he’s hydrated. If you can, get pictures of the “prolapse” so we can try and help further. How do you know it won’t go back in on its own vs him not being ready to put it away? How much time are you allowing before you step in to “help”?

Jackiemuscat

Northampton
Hi there. I just read this thread and I’m also thinking along the same lines as what @wellington has suggested. I have a Hermann’s tortoise who is 3 years old. When he discovered his penis, it made multiple daily appearances. Whenever I would put him in water for a soak, his penis would come out. Every time he pooped or peed, same thing. He would stand up tall on a piece of slate in his enclosure and bring it out. This behaviour went on for 6 or 7 months before he calmed down a little. I really don’t think the tip of his tail getting caught up under his shell would prevent it from going back in. My suggestion is to keep the soaks going to make sure he’s hydrated. If you can, get pictures of the “prolapse” so we can try and help further. How do you know it won’t go back in on its own vs him not being ready to put it away? How much time are you allowing before you step in to “help”?
Thank you. We've definitely seen an increase in the willy promotion activity in the last couple of months (nothing before then!)

So I have left it out for a couple of days before I put it back in. Gave him baths in between. Still the end of it sticking out. I honestly don't think he can get it back in himself and I have a suspicion the tail area in general is a bit more swollen than it was before he was flashing us all on a daily basis.

I'll get a photo tomorrow to post up how it looks when it's "prolapsed" - he's asleep now! ;-)

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
Thank you. We've definitely seen an increase in the willy promotion activity in the last couple of months (nothing before then!)

So I have left it out for a couple of days before I put it back in. Gave him baths in between. Still the end of it sticking out. I honestly don't think he can get it back in himself and I have a suspicion the tail area in general is a bit more swollen than it was before he was flashing us all on a daily basis.

I'll get a photo tomorrow to post up how it looks when it's "prolapsed" - he's asleep now! ;-)
My goodness…a couple of days is not good! Poor little guy. That definitely doesn’t sound normal. When my tortoise went through his phase, it would be minutes that it was out, never hours or days. That’s why I felt it was an important question to ask how long you wait until you help him. This definitely needs to be looked at. @Yvonne G do you have any ideas or suggestions on how this should be handled?