Possible Redfoot Tortoise Prolapse?

HeUYwo

Location (City and/or State)
IL
Hi. I'm pretty sure this is a prolapse and not his penis but hoping for some sort of confirmation.

As far as caring for him if it is prolapse, should I just keep it hydrated and try to get the swelling down with a sugar soak and then attempt to gently push it back in? Or take him to a vet.

Attachments

• img.jpg
    img.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hi. I'm pretty sure this is a prolapse and not his penis but hoping for some sort of confirmation.

As far as caring for him if it is prolapse, should I just keep it hydrated and try to get the swelling down with a sugar soak and then attempt to gently push it back in? Or take him to a vet.
Looks like a prolapse to me. Try applying a wet sugar compress to get it to reduce until you can push it back inside the tortoise. This could take several hours. If it doesn't shrink down, you should seek veterinary attention since if it gets abraded it could become infected which would be a life-threatening problem.

Also as you mentioned, it is best not to let that tissue dry out, especially in the event you need to get to a vet which may take some time.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You have to keep it moist. If it dries up, it will have to be amputated
The sugar paste should help hopefully.
Then once you have it fixed, whether it be the sugar paste or a vet, we need to find out why it happened.
Post pics of your enclosure and give us all the info that pertains to his care. Everything. Lights, heat, temps, substrate, diet humidity, everything.

Reactions: Ink

HeUYwo

IL
You have to keep it moist. If it dries up, it will have to be amputated
The sugar paste should help hopefully.
Then once you have it fixed, whether it be the sugar paste or a vet, we need to find out why it happened.
Post pics of your enclosure and give us all the info that pertains to his care. Everything. Lights, heat, temps, substrate, diet humidity, everything.
Looks like a prolapse to me. Try applying a wet sugar compress to get it to reduce until you can push it back inside the tortoise. This could take several hours. If it doesn't shrink down, you should seek veterinary attention since if it gets abraded it could become infected which would be a life-threatening problem.

Also as you mentioned, it is best not to let that tissue dry out, especially in the event you need to get to a vet which may take some time.
Thank you both for the help. Unfortunately the decision to euthanize them was made. Got them (him? her? them? still unsure) to the vet earlier this morning however the prolapse (which had grown/swelled bigger) was not reducing and was starting to turn brownish/gray. It sucks but after discussing different options it had to be done.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Thank you both for the help. Unfortunately the decision to euthanize them was made. Got them (him? her? them? still unsure) to the vet earlier this morning however the prolapse (which had grown/swelled bigger) was not reducing and was starting to turn brownish/gray. It sucks but after discussing different options it had to be done.
Very sorry to hear this news.