Is this a girl or a boy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kelberry

5 Year Member
I recently adopted some tortoises and boxes turtles from someone that no longer had time for all of them and chose to donate them to our educational facility.

Sadly, one of the first things that happened was that the very lovely Florida box turtle escaped from a covered enclosure (turtle table) outside and go away. We have many wetlands nearby but sadly I don't think it would survive long with the predators and climate change and tryng to find food.

The remaining box turtle appears to be Eastern Box. He/she is lovely and has been a good eater but is now refusing. We have been feeding superworms and fishing worms. I also have commercial food and I do provide fresh foods but it doesn't seem that interested. What food choices are best and how often should they eat?

Finally, can anyone suggest the gender or guess the age?
We have been told about 8 years old.

Thank you.

Attachments

• P1050834.JPG
    P1050834.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 45
  • P1050835.JPG
    P1050835.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 42
  • P1050836.JPG
    P1050836.JPG
    808.6 KB · Views: 43

Neal

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Looks like a male 3-toed box turtle to me. He looks a little rough, like maybe his tail was bitten off.

I would guess a little older than 8, but it could be possible.

kelberry

5 Year Member
Thank you for the reply. I had not heard that it might be a 3-toed box turtle before. When it came here it was living with a Florida box turtle that was mounting it regularly. Maybe that one bit off his tail. Any suggestions for diet and general care to make things better for this guy?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Its a male 3-toe box turtle (Terrapene carolina triunguis). Its an older turtle and full grown. Older than 8.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
kelberry said:
Thank you for the reply. I had not heard that it might be a 3-toed box turtle before. When it came here it was living with a Florida box turtle that was mounting it regularly. Maybe that one bit off his tail. Any suggestions for diet and general care to make things better for this guy?

Where are you located and where did the turtle originate from?

It may be wanting to hibernate...hence the sudden refusal to eat.

kelberry

5 Year Member
Thank you for your reply. I will ask the previous owner but my guess is that this turtle has never hibernated. I could be wrong. I think it has been kept indoors in Ontario/Canada. It does stay buried all the time at one end of the enclosure and has done so since it came here in August. It was trying to stay away from the Florida originally.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Even if he has never hibernated, he will most likely slow down during the Winter months. They just know.............

Status
Not open for further replies.