New baby boxies!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roxie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central FL
Sadly, we lost Roxie. our 9yo FL box turtle last week. It just so happens that our local wildlife rehabber had some Ornate and FL box turtles get together (oops). Since the babies are not releasable and can't be raised at the facility, I now have a trio of baby boxies. :) :) :)

I'll have to post photos and remember how to take care of them. I haven't had babies in ages.

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
How exciting!! I cant
wait for pictures of your
little cutie pies!! :) :) :)
Enjoy your new babies!!

Roxie

5 Year Member
Central FL
Ok, let's see if I can get these up. They don't seem to be from the same clutch. They may be just FL or FLxornate. Fl and ornate adults were together in an enclosure and hatchlings were found.

trio_zps96529fc1.jpg

trio2_zps8fa21d3a.jpg

boxieface_zps75976849.jpg

Michael in MO

5 Year Member
Roxie said:
Sadly, we lost Roxie. our 9yo FL box turtle last week. It just so happens that our local wildlife rehabber had some Ornate and FL box turtles get together (oops). Since the babies are not releasable and can't be raised at the facility, I now have a trio of baby boxies. :) :) :)

I'll have to post photos and remember how to take care of them. I haven't had babies in ages.

I don't know the personalities of FL boxies but the 4 ornates I've had tended to be the most hostile/aggressive. Heads up..

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Omg, they are just so precious. I had a baby Florida boxie that passed away less than a month ago. The last pic kinda looks like him. I used a heating pad after four months of my lil one thriving so well. Apparently, the heat pad was drying him out, and after a few days, I found him under his hide close to the heating pad. I picked him up thinking he was asleep, and his lil body was so warm...too warm. It was then that i noticed he had passed. Watch those heating pads, and keep those lil ones hydrated.

Roxie

5 Year Member
Central FL
I'm trying to keep up with the hydration. It has been so unnaturally dry. Right now I have them in a shallow, large sweater box on peat w sphagnum moss. I think it was another thread when someone said they come out in early morning and late afternoon. Sure enough, that's when they seem to be eating.

@Michael...I've heard a horror story about ornates recently. Should I separate them?

Status
Not open for further replies.