Is this a good bedding?

Potato_king

Location (City and/or State)
Oman
Good morning, I hope you all are doing well
I finished building a house for my tortoise outside in the garden
And I used hay as bedding
I'm really worried that the hay will hurt My little tortoises' eyes. Or it it is not a good type of hay

Here is some pictures
827C80C3-7953-402A-8808-0B1FE68E6772.jpeg

02FE0956-7471-41C1-862B-F64D356BD830.jpeg

EC6C6FAD-423C-434E-9F86-BA6121411372.jpeg

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
Hay is not a good substrate at all and should not be used.

There are three substrates that are suitable for torts in captivity, Fine grade orchid bark, Coco Coir, or Cypress Mulch. Most of us reccomend the orchid bark as the best option.

Also, Torts should never be kept in pairs. they are solitary animals and the presence of a second tort is detrimental to the health of both.

Have a read - The Best Way To Raise Any Temperate Species Of Tortoise | Tortoise Forum

Potato_king

Oman
Thank you so much for the feedback,
The problem is that here In Oman, we don't have tortoises. So even if I wanted to get a good bedding, I won't be able to find anything available in the markets. I really don't know what to do. If there is a good substance that I could use I would change the hay ASAP
Also I have built a wall between them because the little tort is very aggressive towards the big one.

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Good morning, I hope you all are doing well
I finished building a house for my tortoise outside in the garden
And I used hay as bedding
I'm really worried that the hay will hurt My little tortoises' eyes. Or it it is not a good type of hay

Here is some pictures
View attachment 322261

View attachment 322262

View attachment 322263
Is this indoors or out? What is under the hay? What "flooring"?

If this is an outdoor enclosure, you can just use the native dirt. You don't need "substrate" in an outdoor pen. Is there a "house" for them to sleep in? You can sprinkle some dirt inside the house for them too.

Potato_king

Oman
Is this indoors or out? What is under the hay? What "flooring"?

If this is an outdoor enclosure, you can just use the native dirt. You don't need "substrate" in an outdoor pen. Is there a "house" for them to sleep in? You can sprinkle some dirt inside the house for them too.
Thank you so much for the feedback,
Yes this is an outdoor pen and I put small houses for them to sleep in. However, I don't think they will use the houses because they bury themselves inside the hay. also,I put bricks Underneath the hay layer. But I don't think they will dig that deep because there is too much hay.
I will follow your advice and remove half of the hay and put native dirt instead.
Thank you so much

Last edited: