Is This Diet Ok?

Tolis the tortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Salmiya
I agree with Yvonne. Some or all of your information is old outdated and not good for our tortoises. Most information from the internet we do not use. We have long time tortoise keepers that have done all the mistakes, have done research on their own, traveled the world and have learned the correct ways for our tortoises and have shared that on this forum.
If you still stand by what you are posting maybe tell us what your experience is and how you come by this information.
This forum works hard daily to get the correct info out and discourage the spreading of the old outdated info out on the web.

Please check the message I posted below. It was a mistake that I regret.

I deeply apologize for the inconvenience, I wanted to stay off of the off topic chit chat section and I wanted to try to help. (I will avoid writing answers on tortoise forum. I will stick to asking questions about tortoises, so I don't cause any trouble) Thank you for changing this thread. Someone who claimed they were a reptile expert gave me this diet with all the information and said I should share it, and It is "good" for tortoises, which I now know it isn't based on the replies. I still have the texts asking me to share this with people who own tortoises and all, but I deeply regret that I posted something that could harm other people's tortoises and I don't want that to happen. It was stupid of me to post this without researching properly, and next time I will make sure the information that I am receiving from others is legit.

In case you are wondering here are the text messages I received. They first got permission by messaging me on quora, saying they want to message me by phone, before I let them text me via phone. (I really shouldn't have done that.):

View attachment 316335

View attachment 316334
View attachment 316336
View attachment 316339

View attachment 316340

View attachment 316341

By the way, this was on a new phone we received last week, with a character limit of around 1600. Many modern phones have this limit. I could not reply to this thread earlier because I had forgotten my email, and the password on this account. Luckily, I was able to restore it today. (Restoring a gmail account is quite difficult)

Tolis the tortoise

Salmiya

Thank you for your concern. Read my message below. It was a mistake I regret:

I deeply apologize for the inconvenience, I wanted to stay off of the off topic chit chat section and I wanted to try to help. (I will avoid writing answers on tortoise forum. I will stick to asking questions about tortoises, so I don't cause any trouble) Thank you for changing this thread. Someone who claimed they were a reptile expert gave me this diet with all the information and said I should share it, and It is "good" for tortoises, which I now know it isn't based on the replies. I still have the texts asking me to share this with people who own tortoises and all, but I deeply regret that I posted something that could harm other people's tortoises and I don't want that to happen. It was stupid of me to post this without researching properly, and next time I will make sure the information that I am receiving from others is legit.

In case you are wondering here are the text messages I received. They first got permission by messaging me on quora, saying they want to message me by phone, before I let them text me via phone. (I really shouldn't have done that.):

View attachment 316335

View attachment 316334
View attachment 316336
View attachment 316339

View attachment 316340

View attachment 316341

By the way, this was on a new phone we received last week, with a character limit of around 1600. Many modern phones have this limit. I could not reply to this thread earlier because I had forgotten my email, and the password on this account. Luckily, I was able to restore it today. (Restoring a gmail account is quite difficult)

Reactions: Ink

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you for your concern. Read my message below. It was a mistake I regret:
I read the texts. This is not catastrophically bad info. It would be better to avoid the grocery store in favor of weeds, leaves, flowers and grasses, but what was listed will certainly keep a tortoise healthy. I disagree with the fruit recommendation, but outside of that, it isn't bad info.

Tolis the tortoise

Salmiya
I read the texts. This is not catastrophically bad info. It would be better to avoid the grocery store in favor of weeds, leaves, flowers and grasses, but what was listed will certainly keep a tortoise healthy. I disagree with the fruit recommendation, but outside of that, it isn't bad info.

I wrote that in favor to help people in the ways the person wrote it, but people considered it harmful for tortoises. I didn't know it was harmful, but the person said to share it with tortoise owners and i'm not sure if they were trying to do any harm or not. I really didn't know what was wrong with the diet and I posted it ahead. I'm just hoping no one's tortoise got harmed if they followed the diet.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree it's not info that would harm a tortoise, except the fruit part.
However, it's not the best diet either. A more natural diet is the best. For those of us that live in the cold North, we have to rely more on grocery greens, which is okay, but pushing a natural weed, grass, hay (not timothy hay) etc diet should be first.
I think it was more in the way you worded it that made it sound worse. Newbies need to know what the best diet should be and if they have to do store greens which of those to use.
I agree though. Research before posting outside info might be best. There is so much wrong info out there.
Don't worry though. No ones tortoise would get sick over the diet unless they fed too much fruit.

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
I'm not sure what you are exactly concerned about the tortoise health. If I made an error you do not like please send me a PM.

Check the message below, please:

For the tortoise health, it is likely it won't do any harm. It was on how to inspect your tortoise's health. I did not mention people should medicate their tortoise in any way. Thank you for your concern though.
My concern is mostly around sharing content that is not original to you without saying where you sourced it. When it comes to information, it's important that people know the primary source.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You're fine, Trudy. No need to keep apologizing. We're glad you're here to learn the best way to care for your tortoise. Continue to ask questions, and if you read something about tortoises on a different site, you're more than welcome to share it here with us, just mention where it came from.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
I'm not sure what you are exactly concerned about the tortoise health. If I made an error you do not like please send me a PM.

Check the message below, please:

For the tortoise health, it is likely it won't do any harm. It was on how to inspect your tortoise's health. I did not mention people should medicate their tortoise in any way. Thank you for your concern though.
I'm a newbie here, too & I don't even have my tort yet. I sometimes find myself wanting to tell someone what I've read & have to think to myself, "you don't really know anything just because you read." Instead, I try to ask questions or point outsomething said in the statement that is contrary to what I read on the site.

This site is friendly & helpful. Stay aboard. We all fumble through life.