Is this fungus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

acrantophis

5 Year Member
This is a friends red foot. I keep a large sulcata at home. I went over to check out their set up. It looked good. Vision cage nice water dish heating great helix thermostat etc... The tortoise seemed feeble and when I flipped it over it looked wrong. I have never seen fungus on a tortoise before. I have on turtles. This looked unhealthy. I didn't say anything in case I was wrong. What do you guys think? I am used to my tough robust sulcata. This red foot seemed frail. Is it just me?

Attachments

• image-2559858827.png
    image-2559858827.png
    919.1 KB · Views: 128

allegraf

10 Year Member!
The shell doesn't look soft but that is fungus.

Forgot to add that there is not much out there as tough as the sullys!

EricIvins

5 Year Member
It doesn't look like the typical Fungal case to me......The discoloration is odd, and it looks to me like there are a few things going on other than a fungal infection......

acrantophis

5 Year Member
Ok... This is a friends red foot. She just bought it. Should she take it back? I haven't told her that I thought anything was wrong yet! I wanted to ask you guys first before I jumped to conclusions.

allegraf

10 Year Member!
It does look like it also may be bacterial in nature. It looks like it may have been on going, it doesn't look "fresh", rather like it healed, and re-infected.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
New York
allegraf said:
It does look like it also may be bacterial in nature. It looks like it may have been on going, it doesn't look "fresh", rather like it healed, and re-infected.

I agreen with Allegra; that looks bacterial and has healed over but still seems to be festering. If the tort looks &feels frail/light a vet visit may be in order

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
I would also consider treating it with povidone iodine and then an anti-fungal just to be safe. There are instructions in multiple threads :)

Like others, I've never seen anything like that. The fungal infection I'm used to is typically whitish in color.

As far as taking it back... that's always a tricky question to answer. I bought Harper from Petco with a whole slew of problems (dehydrated, a little fungus, bad stool), but he quickly rebounded and I absolutely love him. Taking it back is certainly the most logical choice... but I'd have a hard time doing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.