Is this hide big enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Utah
On another thread someone mentioned that this hide may not be big enough. I just wanted to get the opinions of the experts. Here's the hide from a couple different angles.

8zpkpk.jpg

34q1d3k.jpg

a26d0h.jpg

254vnzd.jpg

She turned around in it this morning between the time that I first looked at her in it, and then got the camera to take these pictures. These are the best pictures I could get, but even these turned out different than actually looking at it in real life. Hopefully you guys get what I mean from looking at them.

Also, I should probably mention that this is by no means the only hide she has. This is 1 or the 3.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I really like your enclosure, and I hope I didn't insult you ...it was me who said that the flower pot wasn't big enough. I only meant, that if you can still see her, then she isn't really hiding. I think that the hide should be big enough so that you can't see her, and she has a place to feel secure. Also the flower pot can't hold in the humidity, that she is supposed to have in her hide.
This is just my opinion, and I'm no expert, as I only have mine for three years.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Its plenty big enough, but its the wrong shape. If you could knock off the bottom edge of it, making it a 3/4 pot or even a 1/2 pot, so that the opening isn't so wide open, it would be better.

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
No offense taken terry. I thought it was perhaps a little small myself when I put it in there so when you mentioned it may be too small I decided to try and get some more opinions on it. No worries. I appreciate that you said something. I quite respect your opinion.

I had this pot lying around the house and since she's about to outgrow the little half logs I thought it would be good to find some new hides to transition her over to. I liked the idea of using a nice heavy terracotta pot because then she can't flip it over or push it around much. The idea of the fake plant on top was to 1) try and cover the end a bit to make her feel more secure inside and 2) see if it would help to hold some extra humidity for her. I am waiting to see how well it holds humidity with the moss, but judging by the upward slope and big opening it's probably going to just let all the humidity out anyway.

Yvonne, I wanted to knock the bottom edge off, but was worried that I'd then be left with a couple sharp edges. Is there anyway for me to knock/cut it off without being left with an edge? For me personally, I'd feel more comfortable blunting the edges with something. Maybe sandpaper would even be enough to take the edge off...

Also, if anyone else has any suggestions for a different hide I'm open to them. This is to be a humid hide once I find what works well in the enclosure, but need to make a dry hide soon as well.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I did the same thing when buying one for Dale. I actually had to go back and buy a bigger one. For some reason I thought that Dale was smaller then he was. :p He enjoyed the bigger one better because he could hide without me seeing him. :D

Tracy Gould

5 Year Member
Pontefract West Yorkshire U,K
Hi that pot look great. I have 3 hides a log that is a dry hide, a plastic ice cream tub that i cut a door into which is full of moss and i have just made a hide by placing slates in a bridge and putting moss underneath it which is under the hot spot that way she sit on top to bask or goes underneath it if shes too warm.

Status
Not open for further replies.