Is this moss safe?

This was the only kind of sphagnum moss I could find at my local petsmart, is it safe to use? If so do I just put it into my tortoises hides or do I need to soak it first?

Attachments

• IMG_5527.JPG
    IMG_5527.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 43

jedig

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
The sphagnum moss I buy is usually light brown, I've never seen it green. I buy it at Home Depot for really cheap. I wouldn't be able to tell you if there's a difference besides the color though. But yes you should soak it, squeeze the water out and put it in the hide. Just make sure it's not soaking wet.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
It seems to be made for pets, but it looks heavily dyed. Dried sphagnum isn't bright green like that. I don't know if I'd use this, personally, but I expect it probably is safe.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
I usually buy any moss the pet stores have as long as they are the right consistency. I only use sheet/frog/mood moss. Have a bag of sphagnum that I haven't yet opened. I have never seen our babies trying to eat moss or substrate. For me it's more about the loose strings getting dragged all over. That would drive me crazy.

Yea I worried about him dragging it all over as well. The one from the pet store looks like shorter pieces which I would think is easier to drag.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I order big bales of new Zealand sphagnum moss from lllreptile. The new zealand is the best, imo. Reptile basics also sells it at a good price.

TortoiseWarrior

5 Year Member
Minnesota
The sphagnum moss I buy is usually light brown, I've never seen it green. I buy it at Home Depot for really cheap. I wouldn't be able to tell you if there's a difference besides the color though. But yes you should soak it, squeeze the water out and put it in the hide. Just make sure it's not soaking wet.
Thanks everyone I just went ahead and bought a big bag of the better gro brand from lowes. I would rather be safe than sorry.
Good advice.