Moss question

Court562

I just got this at Petsmart, Sphagnum moss. Is it safe to use with my baby Lepord tortoise? I wanted to add it onto of my coco coir.
I also got live miss from Petsmart that I wanted to use for her to sleep on.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 34
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 33

Pearly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area
Yes, perfectly safe to use these products. I would give them a good rinse in fresh water, then add to your enclosure.
This is exactly what I've been using in my tank. Now it says "live moss" on the packaging... But "live" my ... rear! I've never been lucky to actually get those to grow. Despite well over 80% humidity in that tank and often in 90's. I ve seen these mosses grow in some tanks so I suspect in my case it maybe the 100 W CHE in there that has something to do with it

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It's safe, but I never liked it. It moods and when I used it years ago my baby leopard always had long strands of it hanging out of his mouth or the other end. Coconut coir in my opinion is the very best. If you don't like how messy it can be, pat it down tight and put a layer of orchid bark on top.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
@terryo uses frog moss on the floor of her habitats:

terrarium-accents-frog-moss-24.jpg

...and she has some beautiful enclosures! It 'livens' up when you wet it.

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
I use ZooMed sphagnam moss. A large compressed brick costs around 9 dollars at PetMountain.com and goes a long way. I like it because it is very fluffy and does not contain a bunch of sticks, etc that other moss had mixed in it that I bought at the nursery. My hatchlings love to burrow into it. I have been using it for two years now and I am very happy with the results.

http://www.petmountain.com/product/...-zoo-med-new-zealand-sphagnum-moss-decor.html

Pearly

5 Year Member
@terryo uses frog moss on the floor of her habitats:

terrarium-accents-frog-moss-24.jpg

...and she has some beautiful enclosures! It 'livens' up when you wet it.
I also use this one, mood moss and sheet moss. They all are attached to the surface they were growing on and people who collect them just dig them off their host in big clumps. There are no loose pieces/fibers, no mess. I love those

Pearly

5 Year Member
It's safe, but I never liked it. It moods and when I used it years ago my baby leopard always had long strands of it hanging out of his mouth or the other end. Coconut coir in my opinion is the very best. If you don't like how messy it can be, pat it down tight and put a layer of orchid bark on top.
The moss I use is collected in nice size clumps with the surface/substrate they were growing on. There is no loose fibers. It all just stays on the floor, like a carpet

Pearly

5 Year Member
Did you mean "IT MOLDS"? But it got autocorrected to "IT MOODS"? Bcs if so, I wanted to add that I've never seen any of my mosses MOLD. They are too acidic for any mold to grow on it so perhaps the kind you tried was different?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Did you mean "IT MOLDS"? But it got autocorrected to "IT MOODS"? Bcs if so, I wanted to add that I've never seen any of my mosses MOLD. They are too acidic for any mold to grow on it so perhaps the kind you tried was different?
No, mine had moods! Nasty ones too. Bahahaha. :p:D
Yes, it was suppose to say mold. Darn auto correct. It never works for me, always against me :confused:
It could have been something different. It was sphagnum moss, but maybe a different kind? I didn't like it or the smell after it was wet for a while either. Really didn't like the strings. Once a string was around his neck. Don't know if it could have actually choked him, but I got rid of it after that and never used it again. I don't think it was "Live" moss. Maybe that's the difference. It was from a pet store though. I only used it for about a month, so don't really remember a lot about it as far as kind of even color. Just that I hated it and the strings. And the nasty moods LOL

Pearly

5 Year Member
No, mine had moods! Nasty ones too. Bahahaha. :p:D
Yes, it was suppose to say mold. Darn auto correct. It never works for me, always against me :confused:
It could have been something different. It was sphagnum moss, but maybe a different kind? I didn't like it or the smell after it was wet for a while either. Really didn't like the strings. Once a string was around his neck. Don't know if it could have actually choked him, but I got rid of it after that and never used it again. I don't think it was "Live" moss. Maybe that's the difference. It was from a pet store though. I only used it for about a month, so don't really remember a lot about it as far as kind of even color. Just that I hated it and the strings. And the nasty moods LOL
Hahah! Damn moody moss! I had bought a brick of sphagnum and tried it, and didn't like the "messiness" of it. On side note my autocorrect drives me nuts too but it also comes in handy quite often:)

Court562

What do you think of this?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 28
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 23