Is this normal for my tortoise?

abbisfab

Location (City and/or State)
Teesside, UK
So just recently re homed what we think is a Herman’s tortoise, or some sort of cross between Herman’s and a Greek. Because he doesn’t look like either. He is 5, hasn’t been looked after well, his shell very pyramid like, and beak is long (we working on this)

Anyways he seems to hang in his hide until I get him out, bathe him and handle him let him have a wander then pop him back on his table under the light then he seems to eat and dig. (I’m only bathing him every day so it encourages him to go to toilet he hasn’t been much since we got him last Thursday.)

Is this normal for me to be getting him out of his hide or should I just leave him alone? I feel like he hasn’t been well looked after so just needs a routine?? He is still very active and full of character so I don’t see a cause for concern at moment but it’s my first time in years owning a tort so just wanna make sure it’s right!
600C828B-1C80-4E69-85B7-9D70293DF17F.jpeg Please see a piccy of him enjoying his greens below.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
That's a happy eating face! =))

Tortoises (like the rest of us) get used to a routine. When they move houses, things change and they need some time to get used to that. If he was used to being ignored, he will not know to take some initiative.

Also, lower overnight temps mean they are drowsy and sluggish first thing in the morning.

Sounds like your Wake Up Service is going fine, so keep up the good work!

You might want to offer him a larger, flat, textured water dish. The terra cotta saucers used for potted plants work really well...they can be set down into the substrate so torts can get in and out easily, and soak/drink as they'd like.

Thanks for rescuing!

abbisfab

Teesside, UK
Thank you for your lo
That's a happy eating face! =))

Tortoises (like the rest of us) get used to a routine. When they move houses, things change and they need some time to get used to that. If he was used to being ignored, he will not know to take some initiative.

Also, lower overnight temps mean they are drowsy and sluggish first thing in the morning.

Sounds like your Wake Up Service is going fine, so keep up the good work!

You might want to offer him a larger, flat, textured water dish. The terra cotta saucers used for potted plants work really well...they can be set down into the substrate so torts can get in and out easily, and soak/drink as they'd like.

Thanks for rescuing!

Thank you for your lovely feedback on that. Sometimes people have been a bit mean about the way he is looking. I’ve got a bath on order so should be coming in next few days but he does have a lid off a tubbaware full of water just behind this photo that seems to be doing job for now but I have a few of them terracotta plant bottoms so I will pop one of them in tonight when I get home from work! I really think he’s just been ignored most of his time which makes me sad because he’s full of character and loves to snuggle into my dressing gown when I handle him ?!

turtlebean

Connecticut
Your tortoise is looking very cute and happy! I’m glad to see him eating I feel like that’s always a good sign.

I also just recently (this week) homed a new russian and he is hiding quite a bit as well but when I’m not there I can see him on the camera eating and taking laps around. I was wondering the same question, should I take him out of his hide and put him out in the enclosure?

My gut tells me to leave them in their hide because that’s where they probably feel most safe, but at the same time I would like to socialize him more with rest of the enclosure. Let me know if you figure out which to leave him or to bring him out of his hide!

Cheers,
Julia R

ZenHerper

New Jersey
It takes a minimum of two weeks (often more) for a tortoise to become even a little bit accustomed to a new home...sounds, sights, odors, hands, foods...everything is different and potentially dangerous. Their instincts are territorial and cautious. New stuff just has to prove that it is non-harmful.

Testudo are not highly social. They do not crave interaction (apart from breeding impulses) and do not feel loneliness. Pushing them to spend a lot of time with us and to tolerate a lot of handling is actually very stressful. If they do best with a routine of you waking them in the morning for a warm-up bath, great! But keep non-critical handling sessions to a minimum.

Be patient, be patient, be patient. Meet their actual needs for Excellent climate-and-nutrition and let them develop personal trust in you on their own schedule. Observe, observe, observe. Let them teach you how to be their friends.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Another person very happy to see this tort in caring hands now. Time will work out al the issues, and the tortoise is likely to get more active and interactive as we move into spring, the days get longer, and temps warm up.

Be sure your temperatures are correct. Daytime ambient around 28-33C, with a basking area around 36-37C. Overnight low can drop down to around 15-16, as long as the tortoise can warm up each day.

While we are at it, that Pets at Home substrate is no good. Those little limestone bits encourage them to eat their substrate, and sand is a component of that mix. What a terrible idea that was/is. It is also much too dry. Your tortoises substrate should be lightly dampened. This give them a little bit of humidity and also keeps down the dust. You might not have seen him eating the substrate yet, but when he gets a craving for more calcium, he will, and when he does, he will be ingesting sand with it. Also, there is no way to avoid some of the substrate/sand sticking to the food. It will happen and over time that sand collects in their gut and will eventually cause an impaction.

Also, what type of lighting are you using? UV? What type? The cfl type screw in florescent bulbs sometimes burn their eyes and make them want to stay hidden to avoid the pain.