Rex

Aman82

Hi Guys. I rescued Rex around a year ago from someone who basically kept him in a box with a heat bulb. I had no idea how to keep tortoises but researched it thoroughly and he now has everything he needs temp,diet and habitat wise. I built him a great tortoise table and I love him to bits.
He has developed a lovely routine of waking, eating , basking then going to bed when his lamp goes off around 6pm. He then wakes up when his uv/ heat lamp comes on at 6am and I say hello and feed him.

This morning I noticed he hadn’t come out of his hide to bask as usual. I looked in to see he was awake and alert but he didn’t seem to want to come out and eat. I left him for a while and decided to give him his bath, after which he pooed and peed all looking heathy and has some food. He has since gone back into his little plant pot hide and say yes there. Again he’s awake and his eyes seem bright but it’s usually for him not to run around his table for a while. I was in all day yesterday and let him run around in the living room for a bit under supervision after his bath and he seemed fine an lively.

Is he ok ? Should I be concerned about the slight change in his routine or is this all fairly normal.
Thanks for any help.
Alex and Rex, Herman’s tortoise around 4 Years old

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Youngstown, Ohio
By letting him run around on the floor, he did not have proper temps and this could effect him. Floor temps are always much cooler then temps above. If a tort gets to cool, they can not digest food. And it can cause a respiratory infection because he did not have the right temps for a while. Also even thou you say supervised, torts can get into things very fast. He could eat dust, hair , air anything else he may see on the floor that you did not see and this could kill him. They also get used to the extra space and that causes problems because now they want out all the time. Letting him room on the floor is really bad. I would keep an eye on him, check lights and temps and make sure they are good. What type of tort do you have and what is is size and age?

Aman82

By letting him run around on the floor, he did not have proper temps and this could effect him. Floor temps are always much cooler then temps above. If a tort gets to cool, they can not digest food. And it can cause a respiratory infection because he did not have the right temps for a while. Also even thou you say supervised, torts can get into things very fast. He could eat dust, hair , air anything else he may see on the floor that you did not see and this could kill him. They also get used to the extra space and that causes problems because now they want out all the time. Letting him room on the floor is really bad. I would keep an eye on him, check lights and temps and make sure they are good. What type of tort do you have and what is is size and age?

Hi Cheryl,

Thanks for getting back to me.
Yes I know that him walking around the floor isnt always recommended. It was straight after I’d dried him off from his bath and it was on the living room rug with on there with him for no more than ten minutes.
Maybe this is the problem so I won’t be doing it again. He seemed fine when I put him back and has eaten ,pee’d and poo’d today. I’ve checked on him and he’s snuggled up and buried in his bed.

Rex is a 4 year old Herman’s

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Youngstown, Ohio
I am not really trying to scare you but we see stories on here all the time. Just want to help you avoid a tragedy. Good luck

Aman82

I am not really trying to scare you but we see stories on here all the time. Just want to help you avoid a tragedy. Good luck

I know Cheryl and I honestly appreciate any advice from people with more experiences than me.
Rex is my little pal so I wouldn’t want to do anything that might effect his health.