Is this ok for a four month old Sulcata.

Sulcatalover10123

Hi there, I am going to get a four month old Sulcata and I was wondering if this cage is suitable. Substrate: Eco earth, repti bark
Ramp: Popsicle sticks, non-toxic glue
Water dish: shallow with pebbles
Bark Hidehut: bark, moss
Elevated platform: untreated plywood, non-toxic glue

Lighting: UVA,UVB
Heating: 100 watt ceramic infrared lamp

Cage: Exo-terra bent glass terrarium
Dimensions: 36x18x18ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1448359035.317781.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1448359055.658725.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1448359082.877184.jpg

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
Deeper substrate and a more closed in hide would be appreciated. That size enclosure won't last you very long. What are you doing for basking heat and night heat?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Depends upon how big the tortoise is. They all grow at such different rates that one 4 month old might be drastically bigger than another. I doubt that enclosure will last very long. He'll outgrow it very quickly.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I would add that ur young Sully will easily tip off the ramp and land on his back. The enclosure won't easily enable a cover/lid so it will be almost impossible to keep the humidity levels high enough for ur young Sully. You still need a CHE to maintain overall day and night temps. The shape of your enclosure makes it a bit difficult to use as a good enclosure to house your tort. Hope this helps! Good luck. There are all kinds of tips in the enclosure section of the forum.

AnimalLady

Take some of those Popsicle sticks and make a guard rail on your ramp. Looks like a flipping hazard. Good luck!

Sulcatalover10123

I will definitely add a fence along the ramp. Also if I closed off underneath the feeding section with a hole big enough for him/her to get in and out in damp moss as a moist box would that work

AnimalLady

That would help, heat + moisture = humidity, but, the best would be to cover it all and create and entire humid environment. If you do what youre saying I would think it would only really be a humid hide kind of.