Is this prickly pear cactus?

Bruh

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hawaii
Saw this at a friend's relative's house and he allowed me to pluck a few pads off of it. I'm new to plants in general, but I thought it looked like (spineless?) prickly pear and decided this would be a good opportunity to start growing my own.

Sorry about the first one, it's night time, and my phone doesn't take very good low light shots.

7THRVFp.jpg

8OncfYP.jpg

a3cTthj.jpg

FRf3imf.jpg

Any advice on planting/soil/caring for these would be welcome as well, thanks!

Bruh

5 Year Member
Hawaii

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
In a flower pot they grow slower but if you want them thicker give them a little more water and if you want them bigger plant them in the ground so the roots can spread out more and the plant will get bigger !

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
You hit the jackpot. Bigger (mature) pads will root easier and probably have a higher success rate. Small pads will take a lot longer to "set" and start making new pads. This has been my observations as well as what I've read.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There are many varieties and the one you found is a good one.

After cutting let the pad sit somewhere with good shade but lots of ventilation. Breezeways work well. Leave it alone laying flat for a couple of weeks so the cut end dries up and scars over. After that, simply stick the cut end of the pad about one third to half way into some dry sandy cactus soil and leave it alone for a month. Don't water it. You want it in the sun but try to keep it out of the rain. I don't know how you do that in HI, but wetness early on will cause it to rot. Once it is established, I don't think you will need to do anything in your climate except cut off pads to feed out.

Bruh

5 Year Member
Hawaii
Right on! Thanks, you guys. I'ma let it sit for a few weeks and then plop it into a pot with some cactus mix.