Is there more than one type of prickly pear cactus??

Status
Not open for further replies.

SILVERSTAR

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
sacramento california
i have been feeding my tortoise a cactus that i was told was prickly pear he loves it by the way but upon seeing a cactus that sumone else owned and said was also prickly pear but didnt look like the one ive been feedn so ive since stopped,

Az tortoise compound

5 Year Member
Arizona
Yes, there are several varieties all commonly called prickly pear. Some have spines some don't. Its all really good for your tortoise. It's just a matter of how much work you want to do peeling it.

SILVERSTAR

5 Year Member
sacramento california
thanks,ill give it back to him,its got little patches of spines that are like hairs that jus get all stuck in you,ive since used gloves and its a form of oputia im sure but instead of being like pads they are like long flat strips of cactus covered in little patches of hairlike spikes

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
SILVERSTAR said:
thanks,ill give it back to him,its got little patches of spines that are like hairs that jus get all stuck in you,ive since used gloves and its a form of oputia im sure but instead of being like pads they are like long flat strips of cactus covered in little patches of hairlike spikes

Post a pic for us.

There are several species of Opuntia, PLUS several varieties of several of the species. All of the "spineless" varieties are man-made. It can get very confusing and there are a lot of conflicting stories, but as far as I know, all of the types are edible for torts.

If I were you, I'd singe the little spines off with an open flame or wipe them off with heavy rubber gloves under running water or both. I've never seen the spines cause a problem for a tort, but they bug the heck out of my hands when I get one in me.

Status
Not open for further replies.