Is this safe? (light fixture)

booyin

Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
I just purchased a ceramic heat emitter for my enclosure along with a clamp and thermostat.

The thermostat takes up to 500W but the clamp shows 660W.

My question is, is the clamp feeding my thermostat 660W or does it just take up to 660W?

The CHE is 100W.

When I plugged them in (including my dome with 65W soft white bulb) I started to smell burning, so I unplugged the CHE for the time being.

Can someone help me out?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
The clamp is rated for up to the wattage posted on it. If your CHE is 100 watts then that is all it is drawing. So with your basking flood of 65 watts you are only drawing a total of 165 watts. You should be fine unless there is a short in your fixture. Some of those fixtures may smell a bit hot when first used as they will burn off some paint or sealant used in making the fixture and will be fine. Plug it in and watch it until it gets hot and see if it doesn't go away

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What is the clamp? Is it the light fixture with a clamp on it? If so, then it will hold upto the 660w. Now though, the clamp itself, not the fixture, but the clamp is not safe to use, they fail and can drop the fixture and is a fire hazard. Hang the fixture without the clamp

booyin

SoCal
What is the clamp? Is it the light fixture with a clamp on it? If so, then it will hold upto the 660w. Now though, the clamp itself, not the fixture, but the clamp is not safe to use, they fail and can drop the fixture and is a fire hazard. Hang the fixture without the clamp

Yes its the light fixture, sorry I couldn't find the right word. So it's safe to plug into my thermostat with 500W capacity? I don't use the clamp, I have it hanging over

Sara G.

Long Island, New York
You should be fine, as stated before, but if you're using one of those deep some combo fixtures, keep a very good eye on your temperatures.
I was using one for a while and all of the heat tended to stay inside the fixture instead of making it down to where I needed it. I was worried about the whole thing over heating.
Then I switched enclosures and went for singular light fixtures, less stress, less wattage worries, etc. ;)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Is the light fixture made out of black plastic material (Bakelite) or is it white ceramic? You should always use a ceramic-base fixture with the heat emitters because they get so hot.