proper fixture for C.H.E

Status
Not open for further replies.

todd and his tortoise

5 Year Member
just wanted to share my recent experience with adding a Ceramic Heater Element to my tortoise tank. when i purchased the 150 watt CHE to keep the nighttime temps up, i noticed a burning smell when the fixture was on. i was not sure if it was the pine bark heating up or just the smell of the CHE getting hot. when i went to adjust the fixture angle, trying to get lower temps at night(was well above 85 degrees) the socket caught on fire, it was in a standard chrome dome lamp assy with a plastic socket. i went out the next day and bought one with a ceramic socket and no more burning smell was detected anymore. so just FYI for anyone thinking about getting a CHE for the winter. i want your tortoise to be toasty... not toasted. todd :tort:

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
CT
I use the cage fixture for the CHE the domes get sooo hot!

JeffG

5 Year Member
Arizona
Any fixture you buy should have the max watt rating right on the fixture. Most plastic sockets are rated for 60-75 watts max. Any time you use anything higher wattage than that, whether it's a CHE or just a lightbulb, you need to go with a fixture that has the appropriate rating. Almost all fixtures that can handle 150 watts are going to be ceramic.

It is extremely important to make sure every fixture you use can handle whatever you have in it.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Only use the ceramic sockets with the CHE and the mvb

I do use the domes with mine. The domes aren't really the problem. It's the correct wattage socket and that it's ceramic.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
wellington said:
I do use the domes with mine. The domes aren't really the problem. It's the correct wattage socket and that it's ceramic.

The domes are what determine the maximum wattage allowed. Look at a ceramic socket in a 5.5" dome and the ceramic socket in a 10" brooder. They are the same: 250V, 660W. It is the dome that has a sticker advising of the risk of fire if a certain wattage is exceeded.

Status
Not open for further replies.