Is this shell rot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Wayland, NY
I just noticed that my tortoise has this very small gash looking white spot on her shell. I looked up pictures of shell rot but not really sure what it is. I got her about three months ago from petco. Could it be just "shipping injuries?" i also took pictures on other parts of her shell I'm concerned about.
ImageUploadedByTortForum1369863202.829382.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1369863230.129201.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1369863260.234293.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1369863298.070885.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1369863321.416820.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1369863350.337855.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I can't really tell from the pictures what you're concerned about. But the tortoise is plenty big enough to not need a humid environment. If you think he's getting shell rot, just stop keeping the substrate moist and let the habitat dry out. Also, there's no harm in using athlete's foot cream, even if it isn't shell rot. But shell rot usually starts on the plastron, not the carapace.

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
Yvonne G said:
I can't really tell from the pictures what you're concerned about. But the tortoise is plenty big enough to not need a humid environment. If you think he's getting shell rot, just stop keeping the substrate moist and let the habitat dry out. Also, there's no harm in using athlete's foot cream, even if it isn't shell rot. But shell rot usually starts on the plastron, not the carapace.

Okay. I don't think the white I was talking about was shell rot. But today I noticed that she has small soft brown spot in between some of her scutes. So does the type of athlete's foot cream matter? And do I put it on her shell then leave it? Or while soaking?

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
Also, when I looked it up, it said a specific ointment for reptiles should be used because it's possible to over dose on it. Is this true, and if it is what would be the "correct dosage?"

abclements

5 Year Member
Honestly, apply the athletes foot cream to the area in question and slightly around it. I had to do this early on with my red foot. If the athletes foot cream doesn't work try neosporin and if that doesn't work, it's not shell rot lol but you have to keep applying it for a couple days to see results

Sent from my LG-P769 using TortForum mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.