Is this tortoise indoor enclosure fine ?

Hi members
I recently adopted 2 baby mountain tortoises ( South Africa ) . The indoor enclosure is filled with top soil , some dried leaves (shelter) and cave design rock . Any constructive comments on the content and advise on how best to keep them warm will be appreciated ?
Ps - we have noticed that they have been consuming long hair ( I have women with long hair in the family :) ) , which we have been able to pull out of the mouth when we have been able to notice this . Is this a problem for their health ?
Warwick

Korall

Location (City and/or State)
Sweden
Welcome to the forum!

Anyways, to answer your questions:

Some pictures of the enclosure would be nice.

Also, I'm hoping you aren't keeping the two tortoises together.
Just google "why not to keep two tortoise together" or something like that if you want more info.

I'm not completely sure about the hair, though I'm pretty sure that it could be dangerous. I would make sure to try too keep the hair away from the tortoises.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome!

Your new tortoises look to be the more northerly leopards rather than the south africans, so my advice is to keep them in a covered enclosure, what we've called a 'closed chamber' here on the Forum. The more northern leopard tortoises tend to pyramid when kept dry, so keeping them in a humid environment helps them grow smoothly. We have a very good care sheet for you to read:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.78361/

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh, and as to the hair - yes, that can be very dangerous for baby tortoises. If they ingest a long hair and it gets wrapped around an intestine it might cut off the blood supply and that part of the organ will die. Never pull on a hair that's coming out the tail end.