Is What Im Doing good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

liamtuffin

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bedfordshire
Hey Just want to check how I'm feeding my little Hermann the right stuff and if he looks ok to must people because her shelf is going a little lighter around the bottom of her shelf and I believe its growth but just wanted to double check so I have got pictures on here.

She always has a bit of cuttlefish bone on the side that she eats now and then.

Bath her every few days for around 10/20 minutes in lukewarm water.

She has Nutrobal lightly put onto her food every week because I was told to just do it once a week.

I give her half a bowl of lazy leaf lettuce because I know she likes that and will eat it and every few days I give her a chopped up cherry tomato. I also sprinkle cress on top.

I get mix bag salad from asda so she can have a different stuff and I choice which bag most weeks just wanted to know each if any of them are the best for her.

1. Bistro Salad - Mixed Leaves in Variable Proportions (55%) [Apollo Lettuce, Lambs Lettuce, Red Chard]
2. Baby Leaf Salad - Mixed Salad Leaves in variable proportions (100%) [Red Chard, Baby Spinach, Wild Rocket, Red Mizuna]
3.Herb Salad - Mixed Salad Leaves in varying proportions (91%) [Lollo Rosso, Green Apollo, Red Apollo, Rocket] , Mixed Herbs in varying proportions (9.0%) [Coriander, Chives, Parsley]
4. Italian Style Salad - Mixed Salad Leaves in variable proportions (100%) [Green Batavia Lettuce, Lollo Rosso Lettuce, Rocket, Spinach, Radicchio Leaves]
5. Wild Rocket - Rocket (100%)
6. Watercress, Spinach & Rocket Salad - Organic Mixed Leaves (100%) in variable proportions: Organic Watercress, Organic Spinach and Organic Rocket
7. Tender Leaf Salad - Mixed Salad Leaves in variable proportions (100%) [Baby Coral Lettuce, Endive, Chard]

Any Questions or Help Would be great I'm going shopping in 5 hours so if I know then I'll get her the right stuff now.

Kind Regards
Liam & Little Yuna

Attachments

• DSCF1435.JPG
    DSCF1435.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 132
  • DSCF1433.JPG
    DSCF1433.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 131
  • DSCF1429.JPG
    DSCF1429.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 145
  • DSCF1428.JPG
    DSCF1428.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 121

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Any of those bags of leaves is fine. Buy a different one each time. Feed the cherry tomato once every few weeks not every few days as too much sugar can give your tort gut problems. Make sure you also feed a good selection of weeds to give your tot the fiber he needs in his diet. Dandelions, bindweed, lover, sow thistle and plantain are all excellent and easy to find.

Your water bowl is not suitable for a tortoise. You need to replace it with a terracota plant saucer sunk into the substrate. I would use a flat stone, piece of slate or tile for food as it helps with beak maintenance. Those lipped dishes cause more problems that they fix.

liamtuffin

5 Year Member
Bedfordshire
okay thanks for reply so fast :) and I do change the bag each week so she gets something different each week

thank you again :)

EchoTheLeoTort

5 Year Member
United States
i'd start giving the tort a bath every day or every other day to ensure proper hydration. Ditto on the water bowl and food dish. I agree to mix up the lettuce bags as well. Also just to be safe i'd start doing the nutrabal twice a week instead of once. I'm not sure if tomatoes are very good for torts because of the acidity. I'd look up new ideas for getting a veggie or fruit in the diet. I don't know much about the herman species so i can't give any suggestions but i think you are doing pretty good.

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
A tiny bit of fruit or tomato is okay every few weeks. As "JoesMum" already said, I'd introduce more weeds into his diet.
You can find a list of edible thing son the tortoisetable.

IMO salad shouldn't be the main part of a tortoises diet, if weeds are available. If you can't get any in your area, or every field is sprayed with pesticides there's nothing else you can do, but the more weeds, the better.

All the salads you can buy were created for human consumption, and don't contain such a high fibre content ect, as weeds do. But the salads you are giving now, belong to the better salads. Things such as iceberg lettuce contain almost no nutrients at all and shouldn't be given.

Also I'm not a huge fan of those pellet-beddings. I prefer topsoil.

You have a very cute tortoise!

Newo13

10 Year Member!
New Orleans, Louisiana
I agree with what everyone else is saying. I would highly recommend changing the substrate to topsoil or my favorite, eco earth coco fiber. It's easier for them to dig down in and burrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.