New redfoot owner help needed

pip wallace

Location (City and/or State)
Evesham UK
I have a 7month old redfoot and was told to keep her at 95 degrees but read on this forum 80-84. Can anyone help me. Also whilst I was soaking her she had an unformed poo with undigested mealworms in it :(. I only give her the occasional one but think I should stop? She has dandelion leaves, rocket and other salad leaves the majority of the time. Thank you

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
95 is too hot. Aim for 84-86ish. Protein (Mealworms)are ok maybe once a week. I use Earthworms, scrambled eggs, and sometimes low fat cat food. Everything else your feeding is fine too. Variety is the key.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
95 is too hot. Aim for 84-86ish. Protein (Mealworms)are ok maybe once a week. I use Earthworms, scrambled eggs, and sometimes low fat cat food. Everything else your feeding is fine too. Variety is the key.
Agreed
Redfoot are warm loving but hot sensative.
They can over heat.

pip wallace

Evesham UK
How is the humidity for your redfoot? That is crucial
How do I test for humidity? I spray her vivarium twice daily and soak her daily for 15-20 minutes. Do I need a hygrometer? If so any tips on which one to buy? She has an absorbable substrate and then bark on top as this is what I was advised when I bought her. I am also bothered about night time. She has a basking light on a thermostat in the day and a uvb light. I was told to leave these on for 12 hours and then use nothing for the next 12. I have checked the temperature in the morning before they switch on and it has been around 68F. Is this ok or should I purchase a ceramic non light emitting heater as well? Sorry about all the questions but I want to do right by Maeve.

Last edited:

nmcgooby90

Duluth MN
Purchase any type of hygrometer, I have one with Velcro adhesive that sticks to the walls of my enclosure.

As for the UBV and heat during the night I would turn of the ubv completely for the night time, and then if possible turn down the heat lamp.

If you don’t have an adjustable heat lamp then I would reccommend getting one because it is quite nice. Simply just turn your heat lamp down significantly during the night time hours, it won’t be pitch black but it won’t be chilly for your tortoise. When I turn down my heat all night it is around 75 degrees in the morning.

Please let me know if you are able to adjust your heat lamp or not.

pip wallace

Evesham UK
Purchase any type of hygrometer, I have one with Velcro adhesive that sticks to the walls of my enclosure.

As for the UBV and heat during the night I would turn of the ubv completely for the night time, and then if possible turn down the heat lamp.

If you don’t have an adjustable heat lamp then I would reccommend getting one because it is quite nice. Simply just turn your heat lamp down significantly during the night time hours, it won’t be pitch black but it won’t be chilly for your tortoise. When I turn down my heat all night it is around 75 degrees in the morning.

No it’s not adjustable. It’s just a bulb attached to a thermostat

Kells Bells

Ireland
Hi :)you should get a ceramic heat emitter (CHE) red foots dont need a basking spot. They prefer an even temperature throughout. For UV I use a 5% uv strip light which i turn off at night, but I leave the CHE on all the time as I live in Ireland and can get chilly here. For substrate I use cypress mulch and orchid bark ( Some bark is poisonous to torts). I hope your little guy is feeling better soon

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga

Your tortoise needs darkness at night. Heat lamps aren't recommended, CHE is the way to go.