Isopods?

Thomas tortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Arkansas
I was wondering if I can put isopods in my tortoise enclosure some ppl say they will clean the enclosure and eat the tortoise poop. Is this true? Will it hurt my tortoise to have isopods in his was enclosure?

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas
Isopods, as in “Roly-Polys”? Yep, knock urself out. They are good house-keepers, but don’t solely rely on them. No harm at all if your tort catches a few, but they are pretty small, stay hidden & arent easy prey.
Good luck

Thank you! I was going to start breeding them and put them with my tortoise.

jsheffield - In Memoriam

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I bought some pillbugs on etsy and grabbed earthworms from my compost pile and the two of them do a great job of cleanup crew in all of my tortoise enclosures, jungle and desert... they tend to hide under the waterbowls, but I've also seen my torts hunting them down.

Jamie

Last edited:
Haywards Heath
Isopods, as in “Roly-Polys”? Yep, knock urself out. They are good house-keepers, but don’t solely rely on them. No harm at all if your tort catches a few, but they are pretty small, stay hidden & arent easy prey.
Good luck
Sorry that I am late to this page but I was wondering if there was any risk of the isopods getting stuck between the skin and shell of the tortoise. Just making sure that they are perfectly safe for my little baby hermanns.