Bioactive outdoor tortoise enclosure

TortoiseNoob9

Location (City and/or State)
Fremont, California
I was going to move my tortoise outside this summer and I wanted to put some isopods in the enclosure to help with the poop. We have many natural occurring isopods here I was wondering If I could add some to her outdoor enclosure. My tortoise is not a species that eats insects, so I figured it would be okay to use some wild isopods.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I was going to move my tortoise outside this summer and I wanted to put some isopods in the enclosure to help with the poop. We have many natural occurring isopods here I was wondering If I could add some to her outdoor enclosure. My tortoise is not a species that eats insects, so I figured it would be okay to use some wild isopods.
Any outdoor enclosure is bioactive.

I would not recommend introducing any non-native insects into your enclosures. They are likely from more tropical regions and won't survive, and if they do survive, they might outcompete the natives and become invasive. The current native isopods will expand their numbers to suit the amount of food and shelter that you are adding to their world with your new enclosure.

TortoiseNoob9

Fremont, California
Any outdoor enclosure is bioactive.

I would not recommend introducing any non-native insects into your enclosures. They are likely from more tropical regions and won't survive, and if they do survive, they might outcompete the natives and become invasive. The current native isopods will expand their numbers to suit the amount of food and shelter that you are adding to their world with your new enclosure.
Thank you I did not feel doing an entire breeding project lol

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
My current primary outdoor enclosure is only 310 square feet. (But I'd be hard pressed to ever find any poop in there. Any time.
I keep Redfoot only. They are a medium sized species. But they'd eat any insect they can find. And it's absolutely not an issue.
Like @Tom said, just being outside, it IS bioactive. Nature will do its thing.
The only issue you'd have is having too small an enclosure and/or too many tortoises in the enclosure. (Which I guess would still mean the enclosure is too small)

TortoiseNoob9

Fremont, California
My current primary outdoor enclosure is only 310 square feet. (But I'd be hard pressed to ever find any poop in there. Any time.
I keep Redfoot only. They are a medium sized species. But they'd eat any insect they can find. And it's absolutely not an issue.
Like @Tom said, just being outside, it IS bioactive. Nature will do its thing.
The only issue you'd have is having too small an enclosure and/or too many tortoises in the enclosure. (Which I guess would still mean the enclosure is too small)
Don't worry I only have 1 tortoise:)