it is raining, should i put him outside?

Status
Not open for further replies.

erdavis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Gainesville, Fl (Go Gators!)
Turbo is about 7 months and weighs about 170g (btw does this age and weight sound healthy?). It is raining here in central florida. Just a shower, nothing harsh. It will rain for about 15 mins and then just a light mist/sprinkle for 5. Turbo has a pipe underground (his favorite) that he can hide in, a flowerpot on its side he can hide in, and a "table" that he can hide under. I am worried because my UV light just died a couple of days ago and I haven't replaced it yet because I never used it (he's outside all day, but i will be gettin a new one this week), but I do have a heat source, just no light. It is about 74 degrees out, should I put him outside or will he get a respiratory infection?

rouxiangge

5 Year Member
China
erdavis said:
Turbo is about 7 months and weighs about 170g (btw does this age and weight sound healthy?). It is raining here in central florida. Just a shower, nothing harsh. It will rain for about 15 mins and then just a light mist/sprinkle for 5. Turbo has a pipe underground (his favorite) that he can hide in, a flowerpot on its side he can hide in, and a "table" that he can hide under. I am worried because my UV light just died a couple of days ago and I haven't replaced it yet because I never used it (he's outside all day, but i will be gettin a new one this week), but I do have a heat source, just no light. It is about 74 degrees out, should I put him outside or will he get a respiratory infection?
yes ,of cause you can ,my baby is a aldabra which always lived outside ,just like live in the wild,don't worry about the rain ,it will stongthen your tortoise!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
If your tort is getting natural sunlight each day (or even a few times a week) the need for artificial uvb is not crucial....heat is crucial to have to allow digestion and motivate mobility....if it is 74° outside and you have patchy cloud but still patches of time where sun shines through and your tort has places he likes and are dry spots then he should be aok...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If the rain is only going to last 15 or 20 minutes, Id just let it pass and then put him out when its sunny.

I agree about the UV. If your tortoise gets sun just a couple of times a week, you don't NEED any artificial indoor UV.

lucky

5 Year Member
Never put a tortoise outside when it's raining, the effects might be getting a cold, and it's still young, getting sick is painful.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
I Would wait until the weather gets better or until after the rain if the weather is hot enough after :)

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
If the weather is warm, I say put him out. If its cool, leave him inside.

Remember that it rains occasionally in the wild and tortoises deal with it. You're in southern Florida and its practically summer. After the rain, it'll be super humid outside. Stick him out!

Status
Not open for further replies.